Error importing Word document

Rodrigo Aver May 18, 2017

I'm trying import a MS Word document in a space using "Import Word Document" tools of confluence. I've used this feature several times successfully. But now I'm getting the error message below:

"Import failed!

Error importing Word document"

The message does not display any other detail.

Is there any way to verify what the problem really is?

9 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

What do the log files say is going wrong?

Pratik Bhanushali May 30, 2017

The file I am uploading is a word file. Tried with both .doc and .docx

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

I don't really know how else to say this.

We need to see the log files.  When you get errors like this, they are also writing errors into the log files.  We need to see the erros in the logs.  Not the errors on screen.  Not a repeat of what you've already done.  The log.  Show us what the log file says.

Mary Connor May 30, 2017

Many of us are using hosting services and have no direct access to our logs. Very frustrating.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2017

If you're using hosting services, then you'll need to ask the hosts for the logs. 

If they're hiding them from you (I know many, including Atlassian Cloud, do, for the sake of simplicity), then they're implicitly taking responsibility if something goes wrong and needs debugging via logs.

Rodrigo Aver May 31, 2017

I use Confluence through Atlassian/Confluence cloud servers. Is there any way to open a Online Support Ticket to report this problem and maybe get this log that you mentioned?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2017
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2017

Ach, Thomas beat me again ;-)

When you raise the request, I would give them the date and time you last had a failed document import - that narrows down where they need to look in the logs.

Rodrigo Aver June 5, 2017

I sent to Atlassioan support a ms word documento that a I'm having problem. I recived a return from support that there a bug about importing word document with many images.

No workaround at this moment.

Here is the bug information:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-55244

Sagar Dubewar June 5, 2017

Thanks Rodrigo for an update. 

Have a nice day.

Enrique Trigo June 9, 2017

Facing the same problem, when this will solved ? 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2017

It will be solved very soon based on the status of the bug being "awaiting release".

Jaime Drysdale January 30, 2020

And here it is January 2020 and the problem still is not resolved!

Shailendra Kulkarni October 8, 2020

The bug is still as it is! Getting the same error. Has anybody got any resolution?

2 votes
Jaime Drysdale January 30, 2020

I give up trying to resolve issues in Atlassian products!

Here's a workaround that will save time and frustration:

• Open the word document in word
  • Select all
  • Copy
  • Open up a blank confluence document
  • Paste
  • You then may need to individually copy and paste the images... but it doesn't take too long

There are literally hundreds of people experiencing issues with importing word documents..

Clearly Atlassian support has no idea what the problem is... it's been an issue for three years or more.

"We need the log files" they say... "different things cause the problem"...

So you're telling me that there are hundreds of different issues causing the import of word docs to fail!

Well that in itself clearly indicates that the function is totally screwed.

CAEN devops March 29, 2020

Hi,

I am having the same problem with importing word documents.

I am using the free plan, but it seems there shouldn't be this limitation AFAYK.

It's really impressive how nobody cares to address this issue.

Is there any Jira issue set in Atlassian to fix this?

Sorry for being so direct.

Luca

1 vote
Garry Burns March 16, 2021

Wow Atlassian, fantastic support of a 'built-in' feature. Not even a plug-in.

Patrick Leal May 26, 2021

I am getting the same error when I try to import a Word .docx file using the built-in Confluence Cloud Import feature when creating a new page: 

We ran into issues because the file may the wrong type, password protected, or read-only.

The .docx file I am uploading is: 

• the correct type (.docx); 
  • not password-protected; 
  • not read-only. 

From my experience, these inquiries will lead to a dead-end, which will eventually lead them to nudge you towards a plug-in, which more often than not require payment, which Atlassian gets a cut of in the end. 

You have to, of course, give the business side of this arrangement a lot of respect. It's pure (evil) genius. 

1 vote
Mallory Gore December 9, 2019

Was this ever resolved? A week ago I had no problems importing a word document to create my confluence doc. Today I can't get any word documents uploaded. 

Annotation 2019-12-09 144627.png

Daryl Revell December 9, 2019

Just be aware that if you use the split options that all the headings you are splitting on are unique names for your space.  

I had a similar issue recently and when trying to split based on the headings it gave me this error and I needed to go through the word document and give each Heading a unique name before it would load successfully.

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2017

I think Nic is suggesting that those who experience this issue should check the <Confluence_Home>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log to see what the error messages are. There may be different issues "under the hood" for the same result in the browser.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2017

Yes, sorry, I should have been more clear.  We need the full error messages.

Ann / Nic, 

Thanks for an immediate response. We use confluence through URL. The solution you gave is something when you have confluence server downloaded on your system.

Similar issues have been reported by other users. I tried uploading the file on Mac, Windows and on all the browsers.

Attaching the screenshot again. I hope this helpsScreen Shot 2017-05-30 at 3.50.23 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2017

Everyone uses it on a url.  You need to go on to the server, find the log file and tell us what it says when the upload fails.

0 votes
Riina Seppänen September 10, 2021

I had the same problem but managed to solve it by saving the Word document in format Strict open XML file (*.docx) and then it worked. 

0 votes

I am getting the same error

Anita Tham September 3, 2020

Try saving the Word document (docx) to older version (doc) and it will work.

Shailendra Kulkarni October 8, 2020

No, it doesn't work.

Like Fabian Schöne likes this
0 votes
Sagar Dubewar May 30, 2017

Getting the same error.Confluence.png

0 votes
Patricia Ramos May 29, 2017

I have the same problem.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders