Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enforce "what did you change" in Confluence?

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2019

We've been using Confluence for years as a small company with users who are well-trained to fill in the "what did you change" field when editing a page.

We were recently purchased by a much larger company, and although we've done training, due to hundreds of users in multiple geographical locations, I can no longer manage things page by page.

Is there any way to enforce the use of that field when editing a page (of any kind)? I'm open to add-ons, if required.

2019-07-03_1006.png

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2019

@Esther Strom  not sure if you are aware, but the "what did you change" field has actually been removed in the new editor in Cloud:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap-967314556.html

Atlassian say this is because:

"it had almost no usage, but added significant visual clutter and complexity to Confluence. Instead of using change comments, you can see the difference between published versions of a page in the page history."

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2019

Thanks; I was not aware. We haven't received the new editor rollout for most of the page types yet. 

stasleo May 20, 2022

Rediculous update. Now there is no way to track WHY users introduced this or that change. A user may change requirements from A to B, but the reason behind it will be lost in time.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2019

Hi @Esther Strom ,

The Publish "on click" action would need to be modified to validate the "what did you change" box has content. This sounds like a feature request.

I think you will find more marketplace options when it comes to page publishing options / approvals versus requiring comments. 

Hope this helped some :)

- Jonathan

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2019

Thanks for the response, but

1. that plugin does way more than we'd need; we're not looking for approval processes or publishing automation; we just want to make sure that a field that's natively provided is actually used.
  2. that plugin is not available for Cloud.

So it sounds like the simple answer is "no".

ETA that I've submitted a suggestion to Atlassian; if anyone else finds this question, please vote for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67035

Like # people like this
0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2019

It should be possible to write a Javascript one-liner, which is called when the user clicks the "Save" button, verifies if he entered a non-blank script to the "Comment" field and rejects the save if not.

There are multiple ways to inject these little Javascript fragments to various Confluence screens (like using the announcement bar, apps, etc.)

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2019

The announcement bar doesn't exist on Cloud, and I don't want to start hacking things.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events