End of Support and Sale of Confluence Server

Andreas H January 15, 2021

I'm not fully understanding the changes.

I am currently owning a self hosted Confluence Server (10Users) and bought the 10 Dollar license with 1 year support.

As i am not willing to change to the cloud,following questions:

What does end of support mean? As i am running my Confluence in docker, can i still update to newer versions or does support mean that i have to reside on the latest version released in my support time frame.

What does this mean security wise? How safe is it to continue hosting a Confluence Container with the current latest version?

3 answers

1 vote
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

@Andreas H, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ page on the ending of server products.

It looks like for the next 3 years, you can continue to purchase maintenance for your system.

For the next year, until Feb 2nd 2022, Atlassian will continue to provide bug fixes, and after Feb 2nd 2022, they will only provide security bug fixes.

On Feb 2nd 2024, they will no longer release any further updates. In terms of security, you should be good until they stop releasing new versions in 2024. After that, running an out of date system can be problematic, especially if a security vulnerability is exposed.

Thanks,

Kian

0 votes
Mamun Ahsan Khan March 31, 2022

Not an answer but an additional question, since I want to avoid multiple threads for one topic:

What happens to license renewals of still running Confluence Server instances after Februar, 14 2024? In the Licensing FAQ it is mentioned, that also renewals won't be possible anymore. But the discussion in this topic suggests, that you can still run a hosted ConServ at your own risk.

We have a Starter License and need to have the current users accessible after the EOL date. I heard that you can't use these users anymore when the license is outdated, but I'm not sure whether this is true or not. And until now we always did the license renewal manually.

So is it possible to actively run your Confluence Server instance with no restrictions in the daily usage (except for updates and maintenance)? And what happens to apps that we purchased to fit that instance to our needs?

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2021

How safe is it to continue hosting a Confluence Container with the current latest version?

This also depends on what security vulnerabilities will be found after Feb 2024. Minor ones - or critical ones. And then it would be still specific to your environment - you said it is running on a docker container, presumable without internet facing exposure?
Well, then it could be safe(r) than a internet based hosting (for example you run Confluence on your personal NAS but without external exposure to the internet).
But as always with security: one flaw suffices and malicious users have an easy game to play.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events