Embedding images from the web in a Confluence page

Matt Genovese
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 2, 2019

Is anyone having luck embedding images from the web (accessible by HTTP, etc.) ?  I am reviewing the following help page (linked below), and I don't believe the instructions are valid any longer.  I cannot find an Insert > Files > Images from the web option.

Confluence help reference:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/display-files-and-images-724765104.html#Displayfilesandimages-Insertanimagefilefromtheweb

Insert an image file from the web

You can display an image from a remote web page on your Confluence page, without needing to attach it to your page. You need to know the URL for the image, not for the web page it appears on.  This is only available for image files, not other types of files (like documents). 

To display an image from a web page:

1. Choose Insert > Files and choose Images from the web.
  2. Enter a URL for the image (for example, http://atlassian.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/AtlassianBushRegeneration-12January2012-083-trunc.jpg).
  3. Choose Preview to check that the URL and image are correct.
  4. Tap Insert.

2 answers

1 vote
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2019

Hello there, @Matt Genovese !

As I understand, the ability to display external images without uploading them is essential.

Looking through some reports, I got one that tackles this issue directly. In the new editor, the function you need is indeed non-existent. Here, take a look at the report:

As a course of action, we can go over that report to vote and watch it. Voting can help increase the visibility of this report and watching it will keep you up to date with everything posted there.

Let us hear from you, Matt!

0 votes
Matt Genovese
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 5, 2019

Hi Diego - thanks for the quick reply.

So what I'm hearing is that his feature existed, was removed, and now I need to vote for the feature we had to be reinstated?  Hmm.  That's like voting for the car I bought to have the emergency brake reinstalled after it was spontaneously disabled by the dealership.  :/

Is there a way I can enable our instance to use the old editor instead, if this is still available?  

Thanks again for the quick reply,

Matt

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hey @Matt Genovese , thanks for keeping our thread moving.  Atlassian is looking to improve the platform at all times. Currently, there is no “turn off”  button for the new editor.

We, however, cherish every piece of feedback that the customers are able to provide. As an example of such, we have these two pages:

Which is why we encourage a feedback loop between our customers and the company itself. I see that you already commented and watched the report we linked earlier. I do still encourage you to go there and vote for that. The cloud platform is still moving towards the ideal solution for everyone and feedback if the only way for us to understand what is best.

This is one step in the right direction for us to understand what you need as essential features from our platform. So, thank you for taking part in the improvement process of this platform as a whole, Matt!

Let me hear from you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events