Embedding Confluence pages in another site

Helen Griffith July 12, 2016

We want to embed an entire Confluence page in another site—bloomfire to be precise. Is this possible?

2 answers

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2016

You cannot iframe a ?????.atlassian.net site and have it work with modern browsers because of the X-Frame-Options HTTP header. It is set to only allow iframeing from the same origin. Most newer browsers will respect this HTTP header. It will work only OLD browsers though ... but then the site won't work.

image2016-7-13 11:19:41.png

Helen Griffith July 13, 2016

Thanks Davin... Shame. I guess that explains the problem so we can give up trying, but disappointing... I wonder if the response header can be ignored by the target site?!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2016

It's your browser that is respecting the X-Frame-Options header.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

Maybe Atlassian can turn that header off for your site? Probably not though.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2016

Most people would reach for an iframe here, but that has the problem that it's going to pull in everything - header, footer and all the rest of the structure, and when people are asking for this, they usually mean that they only want the page.  It also creates problems in that the server holding the iframe and the user reading the page have to have full and complete access to Confluence in order to render everything correctly, and things like proxies, rewrites and firewalls almost always get in the way.

The other way to do it is by having something on the other site that can understand Confluence data and re-render the pieces you need.  This is complex - any system can fetch a Confluence page, via html or over REST, but it has to be coded to understand it.  The html is hard to strip back to just the content that's come out.  REST gives you the raw page, but then you need to understand how the macros and dynamic content are generated.  Either way, it's not easy to do, and I'm not aware of anything that does it off-the-shelf.

Helen Griffith July 13, 2016

Thanks Nic... I'm less worried about getting everything displaying, the problem is more that nothing at all is appearing. Weirdly I can see the page in the frame source, but nothing in the page itself.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events