Embed an Excel file in Confluence

Denyse June 4, 2018

Is there a way to embed an Excel file into the Confluence page rather than using a link to the Excel file? 

4 answers

3 votes
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2022

Hi there,

The Stiltsoft team is happy to announce that our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app now provides a new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

The macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence.

You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view and edit mode.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2018

Yes. You can use the Excel macro or create the link to the excel file. Then in the editor click on the link and select Show as thumbnail.

Capture.PNG

Denyse June 4, 2018

No - that didn't work. I tried selecting the thumbnail and although I selected to Edit With when I selected to open the thumbnail, nothing allowed me to key into any cell in the Excel worksheet. I've tried using the Files and Images option - that only creates a .pdf version of the file. If I select Links, I can open the link to the file but that doesn't embed the file into the page, that only launches the file - NOT the same as embedding. I have secured the worksheet such that only 4 fields are available to the user and 2 of those 4 fields are based upon a drop-down of validated values. I need this worksheet to work within the page. If the only option is to open the workbook, I'll have to deal with that. Formatting is not a strong suit for Confluence - yet another example of such.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Oh, you want to be able to edit it. You are not going to be able to edit it in Confluence. Confluence is not meant to be an Excel replacement. They have functions to display Excel contents, but it's never going to be set up to edit Excel files ... that's what Excel is for. That's also why they have the Edit in Office links so that you can quickly launch office, makes changes, and have those changes pushed directly back into Confluence.

Like # people like this
Denyse June 4, 2018

That's why my original question, about embedding an Excel file, not linking to the file, was presented. I had tested and I'm able to launch the Excel file from a link which allows me to use the Excel file as intended by launching the Excel application. But if I select Macros>Files and Images it only creates a PDF version of the worksheet - not usable. And, as a side note, even if I select "Edit With" Confluence is not offering me the MS Office applications with which to modify (edit) the file, which seems like an issue. Then again, if the file is converted to PDF, there would be no reason to expect the Office application to launch. 

Like Douglas Pyle likes this
Douglas Pyle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 18, 2018

@Davin Studer"They have functions to display Excel contents". How?

I would like for my users to be able to interact with excel content directly on the page. Not trying to replace Excel, but don't want them to have to download it in order to view, highlight/copy, click links, etc

Thanks, --D

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

@Douglas Pyle You can use the Excel Macro. Go to the macro browser and search for Excel. Or type "{" (without the quotes)in the editor to bring up the inline macro browser and then type Excel to filter it to the Excel Macro. That macro will let you select an attached Excel file and render it to the page.

Charisma Riley January 16, 2019

The Office Excel Macro is disappearing soon.  I am looking for a similar solution.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2019

Well, not necessarily. According to CONFSERVER-39829 they reversed course on this with Confluence Cloud and are going to see how that works out with Cloud and may implement the new file viewer into Server.

Charisma Riley January 16, 2019

@Davin Studer, thanks for that update; I hadn't realized. Do you know if it is possible to specify that a specific worksheet within a workbook be displayed?

UPDATE: Answered my own question; it is not.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2019

Yeah, unfortunately not yet, but hopefully before they would yank it from Server that would be a feature that was implemented by then.

Like Federica Di Vita likes this
Jorge Soto
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 28, 2020

I'm trying to display an excel file on a Confluence page. I couldn't find the Excel macro in market - is it no longer available?

Shardul Juyal {Addteq}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 28, 2020

Hi @Jorge Soto 

Directly attaching an excel file will display the spreadsheet in Confluence as a pdf.

If you want to edit the excel inside confluence, you can use our Excellentable plugin

0 votes
Mark R. White
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 31, 2023

The easiest way to do this is just to add a table to the Confluence page you want it on and copy and paste the excel data into it. To add a table, simply type /table. This will add an excel style table and you can them copy and paste the data you need into it.

0 votes
Michelle Bajraktarevic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 16, 2022

Honestly none of that worked for me, the excel macro wants a bunch of complicated file path info instead of just being able to let your browse your computer, you pick an excel OR CSV file, and you hit upload or attach and the thing convert your excel columns and rows into a table and number them if you want or if it's already in there.

The other one wants me to sign up for Atlassian Cloud first and when I try, my work's global login isn't just logging me in, Atlassian is asking me to sign up for something that looks like it costs money and will require IT admin permissions. 

So I went back to my excel, selected just the rows and columns I wanted in the table, and copied and pasted it over, easy breezy.  No formatting transferred but since I already added a numbering column in it before copying and pasting, I'm done.  Atlassian... that excel macro thing is completely not user-friendly if it can't just browse our computer and pick up the file.

Oki__PolarisOffice_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2022

Our app, Polaris spreadsheet allows you to embed an existing excel file for your project management in a confluence page and to directly edit it. You can choose excel or CSV files, and the app enables you to check your excel files in a confluence page without any convertiing. 

In addition, it also supports creating a Jira issue or linking a ticket. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223556/polaris-spreadsheet-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events