Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails disappear after drag and drop onto confluence page

Jason_Leung February 17, 2020

Currently, I am able to directly drag and drop an email message as an attachment onto a confluence page, which is great. (I usually choose to store the email message as a 'link' on confluence)

However, after the drag and drop, the corresponding email disappears from Outlook. It can't be found in any of my Outlook folders.

A way around this is to first drag/drop or copy the email message to desktop, and then drag/drop that onto the confluence page, but then that defeats the purpose of being able to directly drag/drop emails from Outlook to confluence.

Hence, would like ask if this is an issue on my side only? Or is simply the way that confluence and Outlook interacts on email drag/drops? Any chance confluence can support direct drag/drop without making them disappear?

My outlook version: Microsoft Outlook for Office 365 MSO (16.01.12325.20280) 32-bit

8 answers

2 votes
Peter Kernebone February 21, 2021

This solution worked for me: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-28812

It requires admin access to be able to edit the custom macros. Although the linked how-to suggests that the custom html should be inserted in the "At end of the HEAD" section, it needs to be added to the "At beginning of the BODY" section, as shown below. When you drag, you will notice that the drag icon now includes the "+" symbol, a clear indicator that the OS is performing a copy, not a move. Lo and behold, the emails are no longer deleted from Outlook. :)

Tested only in Chrome 88.

The solution modifies the dropEffect behaviour from the default "move" to "copy".

customHTML.jpg

Peter Kernebone February 21, 2021

I have been assuming that you all have server. I think the same solution will work for DataCentre.

Roman Holdener February 21, 2021

I have tried this as well. It also works with Chrome 87 and even in Internet Explorer 11.

0 votes
Roman Holdener February 18, 2021

I assume, this is a bug in Confluence. For me it happens as well when I drop an e-mail to a confluence page wheras it does not happen when I drop an e-mail to an issue in Jira.

0 votes
Alexander December 14, 2020

Hi there! Any solutions according to this issue? Having the same behavior...

0 votes
Phil September 25, 2020

Same here on Confluence Server 7.4.1 using Microsoft Edge. 

0 votes
Dennis Schamne September 23, 2020

Can confirm the same behavior with Outlook 2016, Chrome 85.

0 votes
iotso_cfa August 24, 2020

I was having the same issue with a different web application.  When I would drag from Outlook to Chrome, it would disappear from Outlook completely, not even in deleted items anymore.  After a bit of poking around I realized that it resulted in a "Downloads" in Google Chrome.  So I was able to find the email message in the Downloads folder and drag it back into Outlook to restore it back in Outlook.

0 votes
Benjamin Michiels May 26, 2020

Same problem here (Outlook 2010 + Confluence Server)

0 votes
Kate M February 20, 2020

I am having the same problem, and likewise am searching for a solution.

My emails end up in the deleted items folder, so you could try checking there. Although if I drag an email from deleted items to Confluence then, for me, it disappears altogether.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events