• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Editting in Office in the same time (MS Word)

I open document, change it and then save

In the same time my collegue open document too, change it too and save it too

If she saved last, her changing will put in last version and I wouldn't see my changing, and my changing will lost 

And Confluence don't warn that we work with one document in the same time

What scenario of work should we use?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Kirill,

How are you opening the Word document? Are you downloading, modifying and re-uploading it? Or are you using an app to edit it through Confluence?

Does the document need to be in Word? Could it be recreated as a Confluence page, which would alert you when multiple users are editing and has more mature version control?

Ste

Hi Stephen,

I put button "Edit in Office" (I don't download document to my computer). And when I put "Save" then document updated in Confluence.

I need document of .docx format, I don't want to recreate it as a Confluence page.

Can I do it? May be there is Extension that will be warn: "Other user works with this document", for example

0 votes

The very nature of attach, download, edit, upload means that you simply can not collaborate simultaneously on a document.

The simple solution is to import the word document as a Confluence page (or set of pages), then you'll be able to collaborate on it in real time, and your edits will not be replacing each others.

Thank you for your answer, 

but I think that Confluence must have Extension that will warn: "Other user works with this document", for example

Because when second user opens document as "Edit in office", and in this time first user makes corrections of document, then second user will delete all changing of first user when he will save his version, and he need get warning about it.

There are a couple of server apps that enable "locking", and may help with merging changes, but there's nothing in the core.  Confluence is aimed at being a wiki, not a document management system.

Like Kirill likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Announcing Team Calendars in Confluence Data Center

Hi Community! We're thrilled to share that Team Calendars for Confluence is now a built-in feature for Confluence Data Center releases 7.11 and beyond.  A long time favorite,  Team Cale...

113 views 0 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you