Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editor does not run / load

Gerhard Hannemann December 10, 2020

Hi

Serios probelm here.  Confluence 7.4.6 on CentOS 7, using OpenJDK-11-JRE headless and postgresql.  Problems found:

1, Very, Very slow performance.

2, The Editor does not even load, error messages indicate that pages is taking longer than expected to load

3. Health check show font issues, installed dejavu-sans as instructed, made not difference, Install fontconfig - seems to have resolved this issue.

This system doe not have itnernet access at all.

I installed this on Debian 10 - same configuration.  No issues.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2020

Hi Gerhard,

welcome to the Atlassian Community and thanks for reaching out!

For 1) and 2) there might be a relationship to each other.
While it is not easy to determine that with confidence from the outside the article "Performance" and "Troubleshooting" could provide a good start.

For 3) I did not understand if this is now resolved for you or not.
I think you already have seen the health check article on this.

In most cases the specific linux distribution (CentOS/Debian) makes no huge difference. For the fonts it is some minor exception to the said as the scripts in the background (install_fontconfig.sh) need to do things on a very basic level (linux shell).
Unless something very special is happening 1) and 2) is not related to the linux distribution as such.
But a further debug will be necessary to say where this trouble originates from.

Please also have a look into Confluence logs of your instance (https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/working-with-confluence-logs-108364721.html).

For such deep problems you face there really should be the one or another info visible from logs (probably even more for the editor than the specific cause for the slowness as such).

As for the performance please also check if the base system is okay (Filesystem errors, broken RAM module, configuration of RAID, harddisk health and the usual suspects along).

Let us hear from you.

Cheers,
Daniel

Gerhard Hannemann December 15, 2020

Hi

Thank you for your reply.  Lets start with number 3:

It seem I may have resolved this.  Based on community posts, I installed the DeJavu font. That did not reoslve the issues, however I found CentOS 7 does have a configuration package, it is different from other distributions, however it does add a set of libraries and what appears to be configuration files.  That appeared to resolve the issue, ie the confluence health-check error disappeared.

I agree that 1 and 2 may be related.  I turned off internet access as this server does not have direct access to the internet. The was done Manage-App -> Settings ....  This made not difference as at this stage I assumed that it may be a connection time out.

I restarted the and checked the synchrony daemon.  The daemon is running and bound to the correct port (ps, netstat matching PID with listening port).  this made no difference.  The editor exhibited the same message with a spinning pinwheel and progressed no further.

I then turn Collaborative Editing to OFF.  This appear to resolve the issue.  What is odd is that I have no user app installed.  This is a new installation.  This was base on another community post which seem to elude that user installed apps may be the culprit.

I am failry certain the user install app have little to do with this.  Once Collaborative Editing was OFF, synchrony.core daemon was off as well.  I vaguely remember seem synchrony warning/errors with the logs.

Also by turning this feature off, Confluence is more responsive, hence the possible relationship between 1 and 2

Regards

Gerhard

Hi

I found the editor also works if I set the collaborative mode to limited.

Regards

Gerhard

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2020

Alright! So to sum up - it works but without collaborative editing right now.
In case you want to discuss this further it might make sense to discuss this in a separate thread.
This one is some days old and I am not sure if a broader audience will re-check here.

Apart from that here the more basic docu to collaborative editing troubleshooting for Confluence:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/troubleshooting-collaborative-editing-858772087.html

Regards,
Daniel

Hi

Thanks - I will post a new question regarding synchrony

Regards

Gerhard

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders