Editing my.ini in ANY way causes mysql to crash

Joshua Conboy March 19, 2019

I am making the suggested changes to the "my.ini" file to connect Jira and Confluence. All goes fine except once I make any changes to the INI file. Mysql server won't start until I revert back to the original one. I can't even remove the changes. it has to be the original file.

All running on Windows 2012 server.  Jira, Confluence, and Mysql.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

That suggests your edits are rendering the my.ini file invalid and unreadable.  Not strictly an Atlassian problem, but a lot of us have seen my.ini file errors, so we can try!

Have you tried putting in a simple comment that should not upset it?  Can you tell us what MySQL logs when the service fails to start?

Most suspect for me though is "what editor are you using?".  Some editors may be sticking invalid formatting characters into the file - you won't be able to see them on edit in that editor, but they ruin the content as machine-readable.

Joshua Conboy March 20, 2019

Turns out it was my editor not running with the correct permissions. I got It up and running with the changes. Now Jira won't talk to it but that's another post on this delightful support system. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events