Editing a template or a bulk change the pages?

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2021

Greetings, i've created a custom template for my confluence articles. It's pretty generic, basically just a footer for a page with a disclaimer.

CORE text
------
Footer

Now, I decided to edit that template and add few more words. Unfortunately, that change does not affect pages that are already created with the previous version of the template.

Now, I have 60+ pages and can manually edit them, but I plan to move the whole company wiki with 3000+ pages to confluence. So I want to make sure that I'll have the ability to bulk edit footer/headers of the pages. Template seems does not work is there any other options?

It seems I can use API to select and bulk edit, but maybe I just need to create those pages in a special manner in the first place?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2021

Hah, it took a while but i found a solution myself!

It's a macro called /include page and it completely solves my problem.
Here is a short explanation by K15t team including some other useful tips, so i encourage everyone to watch whole thing.

@Capi [resolution]you asked to poke you, so please check if that gonna be useful for you too.

1 vote
Jonas Moehringer - ij-solutions November 6, 2021

Hi everyone,

just came across this post. I am co-founder of ij-solutions and developed this little app during this years Codegeist hackathon: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226657/content-toolbox-for-confluence-cloud?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

Maybe it can solve your problem as you can do, beside other things, search&replace over a bunch of pages. So, basically a bulk change. We would appreciate any feedback on the app and what can be done better or what other "tools" might be useful as well.

Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps October 18, 2023

I work with @Jonas Moehringer - ij-solutionswe just released the Find and Replace feature as a separate app as well, so two options:

Find and Replace by Easy Apps

Space Content Manager (find and replace is one of the features)

0 votes
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 2, 2021

I think you're doing everything right and templates don't work retroactively. However, if you find out some other way, please let me know, as this would be interesting for me as well.

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
September 27, 2021

Ditto. I did see some articles about using the API or scriptrunner.But nothing that solves my problem.

But I don't think there is much you can do in the first place - you cant possibly anticipate all possible changes that you might want to make in the future. Templates seem to be the best approach.

A bulk change option similar to that in jira would be nice, but I'm not sure how you would do that for confluence pages.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events