Edit the column width for the Jira issues macro

Jamie Abbott November 25, 2020

I'm using the Jira issues macro in Confluence to pull requirements from Jira into a single table. I'm interested in finding a way to adjust the column width, sometimes the column with a lot of text is compressed and when exported to PDF isn't reader friendly. I'd like to be able to define the column width so every export is consistent. 

Is this possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Hi @Jamie Abbott ,

It is possible with the help of the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app and its Table Transformer macro that allows advanced table cells formatting.

Wrap your Jira Issues macro into the Table Transformer macro body and use custom SQL queries, for example:

SELECT *,
FORMATWIKI("{cell:width=100px}" + 'Summary'+ "{cell}") AS 'Summary'
FROM T*

Wed 2-1.pngWed 2-2.png

SELECT *,
FORMATWIKI("{cell:width=300px}" + 'Summary'+ "{cell}") AS 'Summary'
FROM T*

Wed 2-3.pngWed 2-4.pngHope this helps.

Thanks, is there a way of doing this without a pluggin?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Seems there is no any workaround with the standard Confluence tools.

Okay thanks - do you know what dictates the column widths? I have two tables with similar information, and the column widths differ in each. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2020

Difficult to say honestly, especially what concerns Cloud formatting.

I've also found several issues for Server/DC and Cloud where customers ask Atlassian to make the Jira Issues column width resizeable:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-36044

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-23286

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-3393

There are several examples of custom HTML user macros that are claimed to be helpful - maybe you'll get some hints from the threads.

0 votes
Katrina Atkinson July 28, 2023

Is there a way to include this SQL for the column width but remove the column lines? I like how jira tables look in the all grey with no lines but need with width as well. 

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2023

Hi @Katrina Atkinson ,

Unfortunately, this is not possible with the help of the Table Transformer macro. The macro treats source tables as mini SQL databases, so it "draws cells" around data units.

As a workaround, you may change the border color (please navigate to the "Adding border color" if the anchor is broken).

Katrina Atkinson July 31, 2023

With lots of troubleshooting I got it! 

I added the Edit ‘Table Transformer’ Macro, kept the SQL:

SELECT *,
               FORMATWIKI("{cell:width=500px AS 'Issues',

FROM T*

Then I added this to a Div with class = .hide

included the CSS for the Div to be:

.hide {  

display: none;

visibility: hidden;

display: block;

opacity: 0;

border-style: none;

height: 1px;

}

Then I added the same jira table with no divs or table macros below. The top one remained hidden, but the column width copied over. Keeping the uniform look of a jira table with the columns edited. 

Like Stiltsoft support likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events