Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit in Office not working in any browser?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

We are an OnDemand user
We have users utilizing IE9, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
The Edit in Office feature is not working on ANY of these browsers with our OnDemand environment. I've searched and located bugs logged that Firefox doesn't work (the workaround provided doesn't work) and issues that it's not supported in Chrome and Safari.

Here's the message for our IE9 user:

I wasted my last 90 minutes following instructions and making changes.
My problem is that the Office files attached to a wiki page open as read-only and cannot be saved back to Confluence.
I followed the instructions on this page, which seem to describe my problem.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Troubleshooting+Read-Only+problems+in+the+Office+Connector

I am on IE9 but saw that there were instructions about using Firefox. So, I installed FireFox and the add-on cited. Configured the add on as instructed but didn’t work.
I changed the properties of Word as instructed for Window 7 and still not working.
Also, as they state, the connector doesn’t work with Chrome.
In the meantime, during the process, every time I try to open a file I am presented 5 (five!!!!!) times with the screen attached.

Given that the issue presents with both browsers associated with the credentialing issue, I suspect that the problem may be in Single Sign On or Proxy/firewall with the OnDemand setup.

It is very frustrating!

Download and reattach is very time consuming for files that need to be managed frequently.

I followed the instructions for Firefox that were referenced in a ticket that referenced the documentation:

1) The documentation is not the same UI that is in OnDemand

2) The workaround DOES NOT work - I updated the ticket about the workaround with a screen recording and comments.

So, has anyone had success getting even IE9 to work in OnDemand and address the issue. If it is not a feature that can supported across browsers and provide intended functionality, seems that less frustration would be caused by actually removing this one.

Any ideas how my users can use this feature?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

Hi Kalynn,

I believe you are running into this recent bug in Confluence OnDemand. And indeed this is very annoying, and our devs are working on a fix "it's actually been fixed, and now it's just waiting deployment in one of the maintenance windows, so soon you should be relieved of this pain :)

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

Thank you for that update and we will anxiously await this. At least this would allow half our user base to use it (the other half our mac users which doesn't seem to have any option).

Appreciate the quick reply.

0 votes
Mick Davidson January 27, 2013

Razaq,

thanks, I didn't find either of these when I did my initial search, not even the one that I originally raised. :)

If I get this issue reseoved, I'll post the answer here.

Cheers.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

Hoping to hear good news Mick :)

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

This issue is resolved now and deployed across all Confluence instances. What are the errors you are facing?

The same one described above, see the graphic.

You click on Edit in Office, and are then asked for your username/password.

You enter these, the window closes, then reappears.

Repeat ad infinitum.

We're running Confluence 4.3.2 and were still having this problem as of 25 Jan 2013.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

Then this might be a different reason for the issue, as that bug was affecting OnDemand instances, and since you are running 4.3.2 you are on a self hosted instance? try below links for suggestion:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/31720/edit-in-office-link-is-not-working-in-confluence

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/32380/can-t-use-edit-in-office-in-confluence-v4?page=1#32607

All the best mate

0 votes

We are still ahving this issue as of 28/01/13.

Can you please let us know asap when this will be in a build?

Cheers

0 votes

As of 28/Jan/13 we are still having this problem.

Can you let us know when this will be resolved asap please?

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events