Edit button disappeared after upgrade to 6.11.2.

Damon Cassell September 28, 2018

Upgraded Confluence Server from 5.10.2 to 6.11.2. Consequently the "edit" button has disappeared from many, but not all articles.

Where do I look? I saw an article about deleting plugin caches. I did that, and it did not help. I also tried flipping articles missing the edit button from Restricted back to No Restrictions and I still don't see the edit button.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2018

Hi Damon,

do you see any errors in the Confluence application log? Do you use any CSS or HTML modifying the look&feel of your site? Are the addon updated & not compatible addons disabled. Does the edit button appear if you start in safe mode? Do you use any proxy servers?

It's a major upgrade from 5.10.2 to 6.11.2

As the collaborative editing was introduced with Confluence 6, you might have to do some configuration on the Synchrony engine.

I guess, we need some more information...

Best

JP

Damon Cassell September 28, 2018
  • No CSS or HTML mods.
  • I tried enabling safe mode. Edit button does not reappear.
  • We mainly access the Confluence instance through a Pulse Secure SSL web appliance. However, I can also access the server from behind the SSL appliance directly, and the issue is the same.. no edit button.
  • Disabled collaborative edit mode (Synchrony), problem persists.

Here is where it gets odd, and maybe this is all some kind of misunderstanding on my part or a bug that existed in 5.10.2 that I was used to, or a bug in 6.11.2:

My user account is in the confluence-administrators group. Supposedly "the 'confluence-administrators' group always has all permissions for all spaces". However, if I go into the Space Tools for a space where I don't have the edit button on articles, and add myself as an individual user to the permissions, the edit button then appears. 

Prior to the upgrade I had the edit button on all articles. So it seems to me like 6.11.2 is not actually obeying the "'confluence-administrators' group always has all permissions for all spaces" as claimed.

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2018

Hi Damon,

you're on the right path. Being a member of the confluence-administrator group doesn't give you the edit rights on restricted pages but it gives you the right to change the restrictions to add yourself or the confluence-administrator group to the page with edit rights. We had this in our company after changing from 5 to 6.

You might find some information going thru the release notes from 5 to 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 ...

Best

JP

Damon Cassell October 1, 2018

Thanks JP. I think I get now that this is a feature and not a bug.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events