Dynamic Jira macro for confluence page

Nicole Darman April 23, 2024

I am setting up a Confluence template for my BAs to use when scoping projects. I use the Jira macro a lot to help with documenting the relevant epic the project links to, but would like to see if it is possible to just enter the Jira ID once, then the template can use the Jira macro in a few locations to populate several fields on the page. 
For example, if I enter the Jira ID at the top of the page, I will then get the following fields populated in the template from the epic:

• Epic name/link
  • Feature link
  • Initiative link
  • Requestor
  • Line of business
  • Business unit
  • Date requested
  • Business Analyst

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Clara Belin-Brosseau
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2024

Hello @Nicole Darman

If using a third-party app is an option for you, I suggest taking a look at our application Elements Publish.

With our app you can automatically create Confluence pages from Jira issues using recipes. It integrates with Automation and workflows with post-functions but it has many more features than the native solution.

You'll be able to easily insert epic fields into your Confluence template (and keep them in sync if needed). 

Don't hesitate to try our app, it's free during 30 days and stays free under 10 users.

Kind regards,

Clara

0 votes
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2024

@Nicole Darman I'm not sure if you can use a variable in the macros, but you could try adding a variable for the Jira ID in your template, where the person creating the page would enter the ID and the macros would use this variable.

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2024

Welcome @Nicole Darman ,

When creating templates, you can add macros to them. I wouldn't see an issue with just. adding a jira Macro pre-configure with a Jira ID. Probably good for example but it might not be great to have the same Jira info show up each time the template is used.

Nicole Darman April 23, 2024

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for your answer.

What I am trying to see is if I have say 7 macros set up, that all require the same jira ID but then pull in different parts of the card, can I link them together so that I only have to enter the ID once and the rest pre-fill. I have a feeling it isn't possible, but wanted to check with the community :)

Like Benjamin likes this
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2024

HI @Nicole Darman ,

You can use variables as @Barbara Szczesniak mentioned. I am also not certain that. you can it in combination with Macros. Worth a shot since there's not much options.

I found an app that might help you in what  you are looking for:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218503/autopage-documentation-in-jira-and-confluence-in-sync?tab=overview&hosting=cloud 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events