Duplicate restricted page content and enable visibility in another page

Patrick Neumann April 3, 2023

So far I found no workaround for the Confluence permission scheme, let's describe the use case.

1. Content in a restricted space / page is created.

2. This content is required for colleagues which do not have access to the original content on the restricted space / page.

3. To avoid manual duplication and information sharing, I'd like to create a page in another space which duplicates the content of the original page automatically. With this I can avoid to adjust restrictions for the original page.

-> All Macros (Excerpt / Page Include) and Add-Ons I've tried so far are limited due to the permission scheme. Is there any solution for the above?

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trev Angle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2023

Hi @Patrick Neumann, Trevor here from the Confluence automation team. Depending on the exact details of your use case, I believe you can use Confluence automation to achieve this. @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ suggested using an automation rule with a 'Send web request' action, but that might not be necessary. There is an automation action named 'Copy page' that may fit your use case. Here is an example of a working rule that copies a page to another space and removes restrictions:

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 9.43.56 AM.png

However, I understand people may want to publish the page before copying it. In that case, one solution might be to use a special label that marks the page as being ready for copying. Here is an example of a working rule that copies a page to another space without restrictions when a certain label gets added (the configuration of the 'Copy page' action did not change):

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 9.48.55 AM.png

Another alternative is to use page statuses instead of page labels. In this case you would use the 'Page status changed' trigger instead of the 'Page or blog labeled' trigger.

Now, if you require the public copy of the page to be updated every single time the private copy is updated, then these strategies will not work. At this time you cannot use automation directly to update the body of a page. If you need to continuously update the body of the public copy of the page, I think your only option with automation is to do as @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ suggested, and use the 'Send web request' action, perhaps together with the 'Page edited' trigger.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

Hi @Patrick Neumann 

Your requirement is just to copy a "restricted" page to a new page of another space, or you want to include any update of the restricted page to the new page on the other space?

Patrick Neumann April 3, 2023

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ ,

thanks for your answer. The requirement is to include the updates aswell.

BR Patrick

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

The only way I can think of, is to user Automation for confluence and REST API. Your rule should look like the following:

confluence send web request.png

and inside the web request you should place the update page endpoint:

PUT /wiki/api/v2/pages/{id}

The page ID of the web request should be the page id of the target page.

0 votes
Patrick Neumann April 27, 2023

once more thanks for your reply.
However I was not able yet to get the Web Request running.
Do you have any hint for me?

Best Regards
Patrick

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

@Patrick Neumann hi!

What are the results you are getting? What does the audit log say?

Patrick Neumann April 27, 2023

below you can see the rule I've now defined.
I have to admit that I am not familiar with Web Request. So I am not sure about if the rule is complete.

RuleDetails.JPG

Empty Target Page (ID highlighted yellow):

TargetPage.JPG

Audit Log:

AuditLog.JPG

BR Patrick

0 votes
Patrick Neumann April 17, 2023

Hi @Trev Angle ,

I am now using your approach by copying pages.
I use Date & Time in page title to ensure automation generate pages with different titles and does not throw any issues.
However I am currently investigating to further improve the rule by deleting outdated pages automatically.

Copy_Page.JPG

I am further investigating your solution, currently it throws below error which I was not able to solve yet.

Web_Request_2.JPGWeb_Request.JPG

Thanks again for your help!
Patrick

Trev Angle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2023

Wow, that's a good idea! Maybe we can make an official template that does something like that.

0 votes
Patrick Neumann April 5, 2023

Hi all,

really appreciate the feedback - thanks!
I'll give it a try with Confluence Automation and once done will let you know about my result.

Best Regards
Patrick

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events