Dropdown Option showing on a Page with no Child Pages

Vi Le August 31, 2022

The Dropdown Arrow is showing on a Page in Confluence that has no Child Page (e.g. nothing nested underneath it).

Is there a way to remove the Dropdown Arrow so that it appropriately only shows a Bullet Point?

I'm trying to get rid of that nested Drop Down Arrow as shown in the screenshot

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 1.15.38 PM.png

3 answers

1 vote
Stephanie Minns September 28, 2022

I'm seeing the same issue. Wondering if it has to do with a child page that may have been archived or trashed and the parent is still assuming it's there?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

Hmm, I've seen this on (older) server versions where a coder had made a perfectly innocent mistake and looked at the wrong data when deciding whether to show a > or a * next to the name.

The quickest way to explain what they had done is to quote your description, but add a bit:

"Dropdown Arrow is showing on a Page in Confluence that has no Child Page, that I have permission to see"

In this case, the page with the expand > symbol did have child pages, so it's technically correct to show us the symbol.  But when all the child pages were restricted in a way that excludes the reader, Confluence won't list them (you should not see anything about a page that you have no permission to see)

It may be that bug has made it into Cloud.

Could you check the "restricted pages" in space admin for this space?  Are there restricted pages under that page?

The other thing I notice is that the parent page seems to be badly named - it's a bad practice to put brackets in fields that should be human text (it implies there are fields that you should really be storing elsewhere).  Some systems don't work well with punctuation in things they expect to be natural human text.

Vi Le August 31, 2022

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the response. I've checked the content in the underlying pages and there are not restrictions.

I'll work on potentially removing the brackets, but you can see from the screenshot that the other Pages that have brackets do no have this problem.

Internally we use this tag to call out specific types of pages. Easy to report and works for us.

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 5.23.37 PM.png

Tiffany Han February 23, 2023

I'm running into the same issue. I believe it happened when I tapped the + icon to create a child page. I changed my mind and tapped the back button on my browser without adding any information or title instead of properly deleting the unpublished page.

However, now this completely blank child page can't be found anywhere in my recents or drafts.

Like Angelo Villaschi likes this
Angelo Villaschi March 29, 2023

I had the same issue, except I clicked Cancel instead of going back. Can't find any drafts. Can't get rid of the expand...

Like Tiffany Han likes this
Tiffany Han March 29, 2023

I couldn't find a solution for this bug... outside of copying the contents into a completely new page and then deleting the whole parent page. 🙃 I don't necessarily recommend it.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

If there is no page underneath that, then it's probably your browser's cache. Clear your cache and try to view the page again. Use an incognito window as well. And see if other users see that arrow as well.

Vi Le August 31, 2022

Tried all 3 options (clearing cache, incognito, asking other users) – to no avail.

Any other suggestions or could this be a bug?

Thanks in advance.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

So the other users are seeing what you see? You all have the same problem? A single page, with no child page and on the left of the page on the pagetree, that arrow is showing?

Are you on cloud or on premise?

Vi Le August 31, 2022

That's correct.

And we are on Cloud.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events