Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draw.io within Confluence Is it possible to measure and scale objects for floorplans?

hoffmanshaven June 30, 2022
I am using Draw.io to create layered floorplans from PDF files from when our buildings were built and then updating them to the present layout as far as furniture and fixtures. The problem though, there isn't any way to measure anything. I want to make sure that the walls in the plan are scaled correctly and that the distance from a table to power and network jacks is scaled correctly. Has anyone else used Draw.io for this? This probably isn't the best tool to use but it is something our organization has purchased. Too bad Draw.io doesn't have a tape measure tool like Sketchup does. Thanks to anyone who might be able to shed some light on it.

1 answer

1 vote
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

As you've discovered, Draw.io is an easy-to-use drawing tool, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

Any object in Draw.io has overall dimensions that you can set exactly. Make sure "View > Format Panel" is enabled in the menus. Then click on the object and then, on the right, click the "Arrange" tab. There you'll be able to set the exact Width and Height of the object.

Often people will select a scale or ratio for drawings like these - for example, 1 meter in real life maps to 1 centimeter in the drawing (= 10 millimeters).

However, you could explore using actual sizes along with very small Zoom settings to see everything. Just be sure you can print or view as necessary before investing too much time. I found I could comfortably see 38 meters (about 114 feet) on my screen at a Zoom of 1%, without having to pan.

Also, be sure that you've explored these settings, to help optimize your efforts:

• File > Page setup > Grid size
  • View > Units
  • View > Ruler
  • View > Grid  (on/off)
  • View > Guides  (on/off)
  • Help > Keyboard shortcuts
  • Zoom

Note that you can select Meters as a unit (as well as Millimeters), Inches, or Points. Points probably won't be helpful, and Draw.io will not convert anything to Feet.

It can probably do what you need. The question can you get it to do what you want easily enough. Hopefully the above options will help you find a combination that will work for your situation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events