Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does confluence has mac desktop client?

Harsh Gupta April 25, 2019

I would prefer to use a native mac desktop client for confluence over the web app if the desktop client exists.

8 answers

2 accepted

65 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2019

Hi all!

Thanks for your interest in a MacOS app for Confluence. The Jira Cloud MacOS app was released recently and has had great reception so far. I can see how many organizations would benefit from a similar app to use for Confluence.

I've opened a feature request on our public Jira to track interest in a native Confluence app. Please vote on the issue as this helps our product managers prioritize work on this versus other highly-requested Confluence features.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Mark McDermott December 11, 2019

Thanks! I will try and get some votes for this.

Like # people like this
shusei hanibuchi December 25, 2019

really need it.

Like # people like this
jconnor May 18, 2020

Our team would love this! Cannery client sign-up exist yet? 

Like Saint Dasong likes this
Josh.Jones August 5, 2020

Vote !

Like # people like this
Jared September 17, 2020

double vote!

Like # people like this
Gabriel Benel November 13, 2020

Really need it!!! 

Like # people like this
Tuna February 6, 2021

Vote!

Like Saint Dasong likes this
Ario Cecchettini February 15, 2021

Awesome! This would be great!

Gerardo Sandoval March 3, 2021

This would be awesome to have. Jira app is working great, confluence integration would make it excellent.

jammy.li October 9, 2021

Can't wait to have a native Mac version. 

Like # people like this
Salvador Garcia January 3, 2022

Almost 3 years later. :) Any updates on a standalone? 

Like # people like this
10 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2019

Confluence does not have a native desktop client for Mac or PC. The web interface is the only interface for Confluence on a PC. There is an iPhone and Android app.

Dave Deaton October 11, 2019

I agree with Harsh. A native Mac desktop client would be so much more convenient for Mac users. I just can't believe it hasn't been done well yet. There are a couple in the Mac App Store, but I can't get Fluency's trial version to load. The other one was extremely poorly rated. 

Like # people like this
7 votes
Mark McDermott December 5, 2019

I think this is an essential part of getting engagement across the company. We have tons of information in Confluence but people don't use it. I think a desktop app would keep it front of mind and get higher staff engagement. I'm asking the team to look at alternatives like Notion which do have this.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

I'm curious why a native client would get more people to use the system than a web application. What is it about simply being a native client that would get people to open it vs opening a web browser. You could even create desktop icons that would link directly to Confluence so your users would not have to type in the URL. Or if you use Chrome you could create application icons that will even get rid of the browser chrome so all the users will see is the page in a window. I guess I just don't see that if your users won't open a web browser that they will somehow with a client decide that they will open a dedicated client. I'd be very interested to hear your take on this.

Like # people like this
Max Sommer December 8, 2019

I can only give my personal take on this but my main reason would be: Performance. With Confluence especially as with Jira I often experience heavy slow downs to my productiveness. Say I want to create a new Confluence page inside a specific space – often times it will take me half a minute to get to that functionality. Having a native client usually comes with some caching e.g. of your projects and spaces – this is not the case with how they built Jira and Confluence for the web. They could, of course, just improve their web experience with heading the direction of Progressive Web Apps and an Offline first experience. Nowadays with modern web technologies that's entirely possible – but let's be honest, that's not going to happen within the next 3 years probably because these products are so huge.

Therefore having a native Confluence app would (hopefully, if done right) fulfill these requirements and have a positive impact on user experience and improve engagement.

This is by the way the same reason we at my company are actually evaluating whether a switch to Notion for example would be worth it. It's just that 'tiny bit' faster which allows you to get things done quicker.

Like # people like this
Mark McDermott December 9, 2019

I agree with what Max has said above. In addition, you increase the likelihood of engagement by removing roadblocks (however small they might seem to be). Would slack be used as much if it was website only? If the intranet is accessible from the dock, you can type your query straight in and find an answer in seconds I think it will go from being something sparingly used to frequently used. Apps that live in the dock are used every day.

Like # people like this
Mark Rice January 30, 2020

Two words. Dark. Mode.

Like # people like this
AndrasS June 17, 2020

I very much agree with @Max Sommer  on this.

The percieved performance of Confluence / JIRA is REALLY-REALLY bad, it is impossible to work with them fluidly. (Their features are pretty good though)

It takes ages to create a Confluence page or just open it to editing (we use atlassian.net).

Another really bad problem is that the review system is only available in viewing mode and you loose it in editing mode (a bummer, since enterprise usage needs this badly).

Document based editors like Office365, Collabora Online, OnlyOffice Web also load very slowly (about the same as JIRA) but at least reviewing works properly.

Atlassian has recently introduced a new editor for Confluence but developed it into the completely wrong direction.

They should have worked on making Confluence a single-page application (with documents on internal tabs) so that the WYSIWYG editor loads only once and all crucial, often used operations (like starting editing a page) can go below 1 second response time consistently.

I could kill for an enterprise wiki with efficient, fluid editing/reviewing workflow.

Like # people like this
Kacem Boufelliga May 26, 2023

I m not sure it s perception at this point it s real and everyone complains about the performance issue … I agree with the need for a native app but unless the sync and local cache is handled well it will be as bad if not worse because the expectation will be high

2 votes
Jeffrey December 30, 2020

The web version is very very slow, and it is much nicer to have a native app if it solve the performance issues

And seriously, we are considering to switch to Notion, the performance is much better and they have native app on mac 

2 votes
Max Sommer November 13, 2019

Since Jira Cloud has also come for Mac OS in conjunction with Mac OSs capability to run iPad apps and Confluence Cloud also has an iPad app I would expect it receive a native client soon, too. However I think there is official announcement whatsoever. Would be appreciated if someone from Atlassian could give a comment here :) 

Dave Deaton November 13, 2019

Agreed!

Like jsepulveda2 likes this
1 vote
Evgeny Murashov August 8, 2021

+1

1 vote
niklas.nikolaidis January 7, 2020

Try using Flotato or Fluid to quickly build a Mac app from the URL.

Max Sommer January 8, 2020

Keep in mind this is not really a solution as Flotato and Fluid are basically creating a container with a browser view embedded and don't deliver any other user experience than visiting the web application.
I do see it can help for people who are seeking to get Confluence into their task bar or onto their desktop but the actual quality requirements such as performance don't improve by embedding a browser view into a container.

Like # people like this
niklas.nikolaidis January 8, 2020

Completely agree.

1 vote
Ahmed Ibrahim December 29, 2019

Looking forward for a Confluence app for mac, this would be a big productivity booster.

Jason Odra July 25, 2023

While not the same thing, this is as close as it is going to get for a while I suspect. Google Chrome has a feature that will turn any website into a web app.

All you have to do is this 👇

• Open Chrome
  • Navigate to the website you want to add as an app
  • At the top right, click the three dots (could be the word More for you)
  • Click More Tools
  • Click Create shortcut
  • Enter a name for the shortcut
  • Click Create

The advantages of doing this. You can use cmd-tab to easily hop back and fourth between Confluence and your browser. You can also use quick keys to have it open like any other app. So on a Mac you can type cmd-spacebar to pull up spotlight and they type "con" and Confluence will start right up.

This works for now... or the next several years until Atlassian's product folks find value in a true desktop app.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events