Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know of a way to export from confluence to MarkDown format?

Mark Flint October 22, 2018

Hi,

I have seen add-ons for Confluence to allow MarkDown to work in Confluence. What I haven't seen is any way to export or otherwise transform existing Confluence content (tables) into MarkDown format. 

Does anyone know of a way to export from confluence to MarkDown format?

Or even something that would take a PDF exported from Confluence and turn it into MarkDown? I found this http://pdf2md.morethan.io/ but it doesn't handle tables very well.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mark

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2018

Hi Mark,

I found some discussions on this below that might help you:

This one that was mentioned uses Pandoc, if you're not familiar with it. It seems promising but I don't have any experience with it personally:

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Shannon

Mark Flint October 24, 2018

Thank you very much! This was very helpful.

Alexey Zimarev May 4, 2019

The last link to the npm repo should be to the source repo in GitHub.

I tried it today and it works. Requires installing Pandoc.

The only issue I have that in order to build a proper static site, it is better to have a proper folder structure. Confluence HTML export puts all HTML files to one folder and the Markdown structure will be the same, so it is an unsolved issue.

Deepak Mishra September 14, 2021

I had the same issue, so created an online converter for confluence HTML.

https://metamug.com/util/confluence-to-markdown/

You can download the converted markdown file. 

Like # people like this
aviandra_putri January 25, 2022

Just want to say it is so helpful! thank you so much!

Ning Xiong July 26, 2023

@Deepak Mishra Hi, the link seems not working anymore. I stumbled over the converter a while ago and found it very helpful. Is there an updated link you can provide? Thanks a lot! 

Deepak Mishra December 27, 2023

The link is working. Suggestions are welcome to improve the online tool. Happy to help as I really needed this utility for my own use. 

0 votes
Sergei Ivanov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 19, 2023

I use this one from time to time:

https://github.com/KkEi34/confluence-to-obsidian-plugin 

0 votes
Parva C. - Narva Software July 12, 2022

Hi everyone,

If you are looking to export pages from Confluence to Markdown, please try our app: 

Markdown Exporter for Confluence

The app supports exporting tables as well as code block. You can install it on both Confluence Cloud and Server versions(as the question is tagged server).

Regards,

Parva

Jeff Carter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 11, 2023

Hi Parva
Do you have any plans to release a Data Centre approved version of this app ? 

Thanks

Jeff

0 votes
Atly Apps January 24, 2022

We've just released an addon for exporting Confluence pages to Markdown and includes support for transforming Confluence tables into Markdown tables:

2.png

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.

Jeff Carter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 11, 2023

Hi Atly Apps
Do you have any plans to release a Data Centre approved version of your app ?

Thanks

Jeff

Atly Apps December 25, 2023

Hi Jeff, thanks for your enquiry.

Our app is built with Atlassian's new Forge developer platform which currently only supports cloud apps. If this changes in the future we will definitely consider creating a Data Center version.

0 votes
Guy April 15, 2021

Dom Christie solution is great as a very elegant and portable solution. I then added a small plugin to support specifics of Confluence. Hope this helps.

https://github.com/guyplusplus/turndown-plugin-confluence-to-gfm

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events