Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have problems with the Support Tools log scanner?

Ronald de Vries September 22, 2012

For a while now in my 4 instances (2 Confluence, 2 Jira, latest versions in stages during last months, problem applies to all since Feb 2012) the support tools log scanner hasn't been working. I've removed existing logs, tried scanning different size logs and in none of these attempts has there been any motion on the progress bar beyond 0%, even after 10 minutes waiting.

Just curious, can someone try latest version Confluence or Jira and see if theirs are working?

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Denise Unterwurzacher [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2014

As mentioned above, this issue is caused because you are behind a proxy server, and older versions of Support Tools Plugin did not work behind a proxy.

This was resolved in STP v3.5.6 which was released on 8th July 2013. Upgrading to that version should resolve this issue.

0 votes
el_schalo May 21, 2015

I have the same issue just with an stand alone JIRA installation, v6.4.4#64019-sha1:7dfd03b!

0 votes
Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2013
I've got this problem too. If I remember correctly I've had this for some time but never had chance to look to much into it. I've tried this in 2 different browsers and it doesn't do anything, it just sits there at 0%. I'm running JIRA v5.2.11 and I've had this on previous versions too. Interestingly if I schedule a regular scan I get a Connection timed out error in the Atlassian-jira.log. Not sure why it can't connect as the plugin manager and gadgets can connect to the Internet from my server just fine. This would be a very useful feature if I could get it to work. I'll raise a support request and see if Atlassian can help out, will update when I get a response.
Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2013

Found this on the Knowledgebase

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Hercules+Log+Scanner+Unable+to+Proceed+Past+Zero

Basically it would seem the plugin doesn't use the proxy server we have for getting the URLs it needs to cross reference the errors.

Several change requests have been made to try and help out with this, but so far, this is no good to me. I'm discussinig the issue with Atlassian at the mo and also our IT department to understand if we can get around this with our proxy server.

0 votes
Ronald de Vries April 1, 2013

I've still got this problem, even in the latest versions of both Confluence and Jira. Seems the STP cannot work with proxy entries (I am behind one).

If anyone else wants to comment on this, or if you are behind a proxy but it is working, please let me know if you needed to do anything special.

Right now the problem isnot solved for me, but the Jira system at Atlassian has auto-closed the ticket without resolution so I am not expecting much from that end right now.

0 votes
PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2012

Could you try emptying browser cache and/or try to execute the log scan using another browser?

Also, could you check the Java version you are using (it should be 1.6.0_26 or greater). Another clue would be to update both UPM and the support tools plugin to the latest version and see if it has any effect.

0 votes
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2012

Hi,

Here worked fine, since this feature is a plugin, I would suggest to try to rebuild our bundled plugins, that way Confluence will rebuild them.

1. Shutdown Confluence
Delete the content from the following folders:
* The _<confluence-home>/bundled-plugins_ folder
* The _<confluence-home>/plugin-cache_ folder
* The _<confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache_ folder
2. Start Confluence

I suggest that you schedule a downtime to do that.

After that, startup Confluence and Flush the Cache (_Confluence Admin > Cache Statistics > Flush All_). And you might [Rebuild the Index|http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Content+Index+Administration] as well.

Cheers,

WZ

Ronald de Vries September 24, 2012

Haven't tried the approach above yet. However, on a brand new install of Jira, same issue. Does this have anything to do with it? Is that path correct? I don't see errors in the error log itself, but maybe logging levels are not set to tell me. Is it getting to the file? How can I check?

Scanning file D:\Jira-Data/log/atlassian-jira.log...
Ronald de Vries October 1, 2012

Ok, tried the directory clean up and re-indexing. No joy, still isn't reading my log file. Any other ideas on how I can see more of what is going on?. Java version is 1.6.0_35. UPM and tools plugins are updated.

0 votes
Davet September 23, 2012

No dude - it is your setup

Hercules and Support Tools are working for me on 5.1.1 and 5.1.3

Version: 3.0.11
Developer: Atlassian Support
0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2012

Seeing the same issue on Jira 5.1.5 as well.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events