Does anyone have issues with Drafts or Pages not saving?

Bridget Maloney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2020

We have received reports from a few of our users indicating that they have spent hours on a page - and it doesn't save any of their changes. 

I'm not sure if its an issue with the draft / auto-save - or if this is an issue with the page save overall.  It does sound like at some point the save button becomes grayed out and no longer usable. 

We have not definitively found any patterns where this happens - but it is causing us to lose trust in Confluence.  As we do all billable work for clients, it is extra critical that we are efficient with our time. 

Has anyone else had reports of this?  Have you noticed any patterns where this happens? 

1 answer

1 vote
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2020

Hi Bridget!

I haven't personally had issues with drafts, but I also don't rely heavily on the drafts feature for extensive work. I'll share my reasoning and general strategy toward drafts here in case it helps.

Confluence should save your drafts, but if you've spent a significant amount of time on any changes, I'd recommend saving your work as you go. This is because there is no record of the changes outside the draft, and when a draft is deleted, it's gone. This opens up the possibility of losing your work due to a number of factors independent of the draft saving feature. As mentioned in the Drafts documentation:

We recommend only keeping your work as a draft when it's in a very early stage. This is because changes can't be tracked in a draft, and you can't roll back to previous editing sessions - both of which you can do for published pages.

I think of it similar to writing a document in Microsoft Word: You can spend hours on a document without saving, and everything should be fine. You can even walk away, come back the next day, and it Microsoft word will "save" where you left off. However, if someone comes in that time and changes the document, or closes a window, or if your computer runs into power/connection issues, you run the risk of losing that work without any record of what's done.

Similarly, leaving hours of work in a draft in Confluence leaves the work vulnerable to being deleted or changed without a trace by another user. Additionally, without saving, you don't have any additional history of the document, so you lose the ability to know who added what content, and how to revert back to a previous version.

With that in mind, here are some strategies i use for saving drafts of work in Confluence:

1. Using the draft feature – I do keep pages as a draft for small amounts of work. Usually, for example, if I start a page or edit, put a minimal amount of work into it, then maybe get interrupted and have to come back to it later. However, once a significant amount of work is put into a page that I want saved, I use one of the strategies below.
  2. Publish the page in a common space with "DRAFT:" in the title (e.g. "DRAFT: 2020 goals" – This is good if you want to be open about your work and let others see what you're working on, but want to be clear it's a work in progress. You can even use view restrictions if you want to limit visibility to a few collaborators.
  3. Publish the page in your personal space – This is great if you're working on the page alone and want to work on it before sharing with others. You can also set view restrictions here if you want to limit visibility to just you.

(You can also see similar tips for saving in the Drafts documentation linked above)

In options 2 and 3 above, I make incremental changes and save the page after any meaningful additions. This gives a great record of changes to see what work has been done on the document and what has changed over time.

I hope this helps!
– Zak

Bridget Maloney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

Thank you so much, @Zak Laughton - I will share this with my team and report back on how things go - or if we have any additional observations.  Thanks again! 

Like Zak Laughton likes this
Amy Ruhl
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 17, 2024

This is happening each time for me and it is really frustrating.   I can edit the draft in the old editor due to the other bug, but when I use the new editor I can update my draft but not save.   What is going on?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events