Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have documentation regarding the best design/formatting practices for Confluence Article

Kelley Bennett November 20, 2020

Such things as: using different colored headings, using expanding text vs a long expanse of text to scroll through, using the various colored notations, etc.  

We have folks in our group that have differing opinions about what works best for users.

2 answers

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 23, 2020

Hey @Kelley Bennett

You might also consider writing in what technical writers refer to as "topics". Essentially, it's a way of grouping similar types of content and helps avoid long scrolling pages. There's some info on my team's guide here: https://www.k15t.com/rock-the-docs/creating-topics

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2020

Hi @Kelley Bennett 

I guess it depends on what the Confluence page or article contains.

For example, we have an FAQ page which utilises expand boxes, so users can look for their question and expand it to see the answer. It was preferred to a page with a significant amount of wording on it.

However, for a Knowledge Base article, we try to avoid expand boxes so the instructions are more searchable from either on the page or the search bar.

Things I would suggest:

• Expand Boxes: These are great for holding tips, tricks or additional information if it's too long - for example, a template for a user to copy.
  • Panels: Good for tips, tricks, introductions to sections, etc. I use these on Knowledge Base articles to highlight "hot tips"
  • Headings: I use headings to split work into sections, as headings have anchor links (which we can place on other pages / in bookmarks) and can be used with the table of contents macro.
  • Page Properties / Page Properties Report: Good for providing a summary of multiple pages in one place

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events