Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Confluence support markdown TOC coding?

Ward Rosenberry December 9, 2019

We have imported a markdown document into confluence.

The standard coding for a TOC  is not working. We are using this:

* Topic 1 (#topic1)

* Topic 2 (#topic2)

## Topic 1 <a name="topic1"></a>

text

## Topic 2 <a name="topic1"></a>

text

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2019

Hello Ward,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to meet you!

You can insert markdown into a page directly, and Confluence will convert it. Have a look at Confluence Wiki Markup for information on how you can use wiki markup or markdown in Confluence.

Note that you will not be able to include the markdown into a Word document, for example, and import that into a page. This feature was removed along with markup support in Confluence 4.0.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Ward Rosenberry December 11, 2019

Thanks Shannon. 

We've got our markdown-coded doc into confluence and it formats nicely. The problem is the TOC coding is not working or accepted by confluence. 

Our heading 2 renders like this when viewed in confluence:

Requirements <a name="requirements"></a>

When you click the relevant TOC entry at the top of the file:

* Requirements (#requirements)

The browser displays a blank page. I'm guessing this coding (in bold, above) is not supported.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2019

Ward,

Just to confirm - the markdown was entered directly into Confluence, and not imported using the Word importer? Please let us know how you got the markdown into the document, and can you show me how it looks on the page?

Edit to add: the markdown that should work is on this page: Confluence Wiki Markup

You can see the Markdown Syntax Guide for information on what markdown you can use. In terms of your example, the <a name= should not render.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events