Does Confluence allow multi edit on a document(e.g. excel) and merge the changes into one version?

Murali Krishna
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 12, 2017

Hi,

Am looking to see if Confluence allows multi edit(i.e multiple ppl editing the document at the same time) on a document(e.g. excel) and when saved, merges all the changes into one version.

Else, does it has an option to checkout the document and checkin or similar to this.

Currently, I see when a document is edited by multiple ppl it creates multiple versions when saved(without merging the changes into one).

Thanks,

Murali

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2017

Hi Murali,

With the Collaborative editing, when multiple users are editing the page and the page is published, all of the changes made at that time are published. You can review more about this at our Collaborative editing documentation.

If it's not behaving in this way, can you let us know your current Confluence version?

Regards,

Shannon

Dave White January 27, 2020

Confluence works fine with "pages" being edited simultaneously but if there are documents stored (in a File List) it appears that Confluence won't merge changes when more than one person is editing a document (EXCEL, WORD, etc.).  

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2020

Hi Dave,

The concurrent editing works only on the Confluence page itself, but it won't work with Office documents, unfortunately.

The following case was raised for this feature for Cloud:

The same was raised for Server, but was closed as Not being considered. I found a duplicate for it below, which has not yet been closed:

• CONFSERVER--52135 Allow concurrent collaborative editing to a single Office document

I would recommend voting on the feature request that applies to your Confluence site (whether on Cloud or Server), and you'll be added to the list of watchers and receive updates when there are any changes.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events