Document Security - read-only, no download

Greg Della-Croce November 1, 2012

We have a site on our system that needs to be able to let the owner post documents for others to read, but not be able to download them from the site. I am wondering how to set this sort of security on documents for this one site.

Greg

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

Hi Greg,

To prevent attachment downloads you will need to edit the velocity files in your <Confluence_Install_Directory> as described in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=215484007

You should only do this if you know what you're doing, you have thoroughly tested it and you have understood that you will need to rollback the customisation for upgrades, (and reapply it again afterwards), but I believe this is your best solution.

However, this solution disables downloading of attachments for everyone, admins included, so you would need to work out a way of accessing the files from the file system as they will be unavailable from the application. One solution for that would be to only apply the customisation to one Space and then move the pages to a new Space that the users cannot access, as this would allow you to still download the attachments from the application, (presumably a preferrable solution).

All the best,
John

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

That's actually totally impossible.

When your browser displays the content of a file, then it's downloaded it. There's no such thing as "read without downloading". There are tricks to obscure things and make it more difficult (e.g. displaying files as images, or providing them in locked formats), but there's no useful way to stop someone who is determined from getting a copy of what you've posted.

David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

well put :)

Greg Della-Croce November 2, 2012

Thanks, I know that ther is no 100% way to stop it, but I do want to make it difficult for people to do for this page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events