Document Classifications

Deleted user October 16, 2019

Hello, 

As part of the marketing team, we have numerous types of assets to upload. PPTs/PDFs/Jpgs/xls/doc. 

I want to add certain fields to each document so that I can categorize them in a view, i.e., "theme." I have about 8 fields that I want associated with each document. Some of the fields are text, multi-line text and drop-down.

The other thing that I would like to happen is that once I create the asset with the additional fields, the asset will automatically be categorized in the different views.

I am just starting with Confluence, so I don't know the best way to upload the documentation.

Is there a way to add additional fields to the Upload attachements macro? If I include a field for the view that I would like on the left side, would the asset be automatically listed there?

Thanks in advance!

Deb

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2019

Hello there, @[deleted]!  Great to have newcomers to our community. Hope you like it here!

Let me try and check if I did understand the situation at hand.

As I see it, you have multiple file types in your hands and need to organize them based on common themes.

First, I will address the “categorize them in a view” part of your question. To create themes, we can use the labeling feature that is an integral part of Confluence. Here is a page on how labels work, Deb:

While we can not have multiple types of fields in the macro,  you can create multiple labels and use them with your files (assets). This allows us to filter them later in the Attachments macro view.

In the second part of your question you said: “once I create the asset with the additional fields, the asset will automatically be categorized in the different views”. This is possible if we use multiple Attachments macro, each with a different filter.

For the files (assets) to be automatically added on the labels (themes), you need to upload them using the attachments macro that is filtering to the desired label.

Here is a practical example of the explanation above:

1. Create a page                                                                                      CreatePage.jpg
  2. Add one Attachments macro                                                                                           AttachmentsMacro.jpg
  3. Under the settings of Attachments macro, define which label should be considered for the filters                                         DefineLabel.jpg      
  4. Save the settings
  5. Publish the page
  6. Upload files using the recently created Attachments macro UploadFiles.jpg
  7. Check that the macro will automatically have the label                                               AutoLabel.jpg
  8. Create a new page (be it a child of the previously created page or not)
  9. Add the attachments macro
  10. Define which labels the macro should look into  
  11. Define the previous page title in the macro settings as well   PreviousPage.jpg
  12. Save the settings
  13. Publish the page
  14. Go back to the page we created at the start
  15. Upload more files using that attachments macro PreviousPageAttachment.jpg
  16. Check that the files also show up in the newly created page and attachments macro NewPageAttachment.jpg

For the files (assets) to show in your pages, you need to add the attachments macro to each of them and add the necessary filters to it. The process above is necessary because the Attachments macro does not look into files in a Space level, it looks on the page level.

Since you are just joining Confluence, I wanted to give you a quick explanation of how things work!

Spaces:

Spaces are basically a collection of pages and files. You can also set permissions here.

Pages:

Is where the actual content is put. You can send attachments here and also set restrictions.

Here we have some links for guidance:

Let me hear from you, Deb. I hope this sheds some light on your newly started Confluence experience. Please, raise your hand if any hardship surfaces!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events