Do confluence admis have more power than the system admin?

Eleni Vordos January 24, 2023

Hi everyone!

I am creating a tree diagram to explain to my supervisor the different roles in confluence cloud.

However I am a bit confused regarding the Confluence Administrators. Until now I believed that the System Administrator (1) is above all in the hierarchy, followed by the confluence administrator (2), space admin (3), user (4), and lastly guests (5).

However Confluence Administrators seem to have the same rights as the system manager. Could that be true?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2023

You do not have access to system administration on Cloud, only Atlassian can do that.  There are only "confluence administrators" on your side.

There are another group though - site administrators can administrate the users of the site as a whole (so Confluence, Jira, Bitbucket and so on).  They are usually administrators of the systems as well, but they don't have to be.

Eleni Vordos January 26, 2023

Thank you for your insights Nic. So site administrators and confluence administrators are not the same thing as far as I have understood. 

I saw the comment you left here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cloud-what-difference-between-site-Admin-Admin-and-JIRA-Admin/qaq-p/648822

Does the same principle apply to Confluence?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2023

Yes.  Jira admin is a bit more complex than Confluence admin on server/DC, but for Cloud, the same basic principles apply.  Site admins look after your Cloud site (with all the apps you have).  Confluence admins look after your Confluence only.  In most cases though, we admins are the same people.

TLDR: Your understanding is right.

If other people land on this question, then on Cloud, we have:

• Atlassian admins
  • Site Admins
  • Confluence / Jira / Bitbucket Admins
  • Space / Project / Project Admins
  • A big pile of grey areas - please do ask more questions if you land in that level!
Like Eleni Vordos likes this
Eleni Vordos January 27, 2023

Perfect! Thank you so much for your clarifications Nic! :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events