Display the Confluence Version on a page?

Chris Ridgeway August 11, 2014

Anyone know if there is a easy macro that would allow me to show the current Confluence version on any page?

e.g. it would output "Confluence 5.4.4"

2 answers

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2014

@chris ridgeway

I got this all figured out for you.

1. You'll need to navigate to your Confluence installation via your browser
  2. Click the Gear icon and press Confluence Administration
  3. On the left side, press User Macros
  4. Press Create a New User macro
  5. Paste my below code into Templateand fill out the following form fields as such:
    • Name - conf_version
    • Macro Title - Confluence Version
    • Fill out description and category as appropriate
    • Ensure Macro Body Processing to No Body
    • Save
    • You'll now be able to insert this into page. It results in a string like so:

## Macro title: Confluence Version
## Macro has a body: N
## Body processing: No macro body
##
## Developed by: Steven Behnke
## Date created: 28/Aug/2014
## Installed by: 

## @noparams
<p>Confluence $generalUtil.versionNumber</p>

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2014

I did this by locating the footer-content.vm file. This is the template written in Velocity that Confluence uses to render the footer of course. This file is locted in ../decorators/includes/footer-content.vm

Inside that file (opened it in a text editor) I simply used the Find function to find 'version' and found this:

<ul id="poweredby">
            <li class="noprint">$action.getText('powered.by.atlassian.confluence',
            [$action.getText('url.atlassian.software.confluence.footer'),
            "<span id='footer-build-information'>$generalUtil.versionNumber</span>",
                $action.getText('url.enterprise.wiki.footer') ])</li>
            <li class="print-only">$action.getText('printed.by.atlassian.confluence',["$generalUtil.versionNumber"])</li>
            <li class="noprint"><a href="$action.getText('url.bug.feature.request')" class="hover-footer-link">$action.getText('bug.feature.request')</a></li>
            <li class="noprint"><a href="$action.getText('url.footer.atlassian.news')" class="hover-footer-link">$action.getText('footer.atlassian.news')</a></li>
        </ul>

The

$generalUtil.versionNumber

line holds the version of the installation. Calling this in a User Macro (which supports velocity) should just work. So I added a simple, no parameter, no body user macro (doesn't get more simple than this) and added the line. To keep it clean, I put it in a p tag and added Confluence before.

0 votes
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

Hi Chris,

Confluence has the version set on the footer, which is a .vm file (velocity template). I would recommend you to take a look there and check which variable is used to show this system information to the page.

Chris Ridgeway August 11, 2014

Hmm. Ours does not, although this may be because we are using a Refined Wiki custom template. Does anyone know the variable?

And if were to learn the variable, how would you display that on a page? I'm assuming some kind of user macro? Any quick help on how that would work? Not a dev here.

Chris Ridgeway August 27, 2014

As a sidenote, I have not marked this resolved or answered because I still don't understand how to implement a solution. Any other takers? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events