Display alternative content for anonymous users in Confluence

amelandri August 7, 2013

I set up an home page for our Confluence installation that lists the top level pages for every space. The wiki is open for guest users but some space content must be visible only to registered users.

If I use the Page Tree macro, anonymous user are forced to login in order to display the page.

If I use the Children macro, I get this message "Unable to render {children}. Page not found: CS:Configurazioni Server."

Is there a way (native/plugin/macro) to display an alternative text if there's some kind of authorization limitation over the content?

For example, something like "To visualize this content you need to be logged in".

2 answers

0 votes
Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2013

The Customware Visibility Plugin is great for this. We have it set up to display a disclaimer to people who aren't logged in (i.e. Annonymous) which users who are logged in won't see.

And it's free!

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.customware.confluence.plugin.visibility

amelandri September 5, 2013

Thank you :-) This plugin should solve my problem, but I think it's not compatible with the latest version of Confluence. I tryed installing it but I got this error

Plugin installation failed: Failed to resolve plugin dependencies within OBR [plugin_6327012005172267721_visibility-plugin-2.1.0.obr]

I'm using Confluence 5.2.3

Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

As of today (9/11/2013) it's listed as compatible with 5.1.5 and below.

Although you might want to try and install it using confluence's hidden plugin screen. I usually have better luck installing plugins from here. Sometimes the regular Manage Add-on screen just craps out.

http://yourdomain/admin/viewplugins.action

amelandri September 11, 2013

Sorry, it doesn't work. Let's hope they'll update the plugin :-)

David Hergert _PAYX_ April 25, 2014

Sean King - how do you have the Visibility plugin only show to Anonymous users? I put "anonymous" as the user or group, and it doesn't display to non-logged in users.

Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

David Hergert - You can use the "hide if" macro with confluence-users added to the user group to hide from anyone logged in. You can then use the "show if" with the same group added to do the opposite and only show to people logged in.

Sushant Mongia June 20, 2019

@Sean King1  - I tried your approach but it didn't work for me. I did a "hide-if" set to "any" and "confluence-users" on an anonymous page, no luck. Any ideas?

0 votes
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

You could set the global permissions to allow anonymous access to the site, then set each space permission to disable anonymous viewing.

amelandri August 7, 2013

This is what I did, but if I insert in the home page a Page Tree macro that lists the top level pages of a restricted space, anonymous users are forced to log in.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events