Disabling users in Confluence Internal Directory (which are duplicated in Crowd)

Tim Finch August 20, 2019

Confluence version: 6.15.2

Hi,

We are running Confluence authenticating against Crowd. Previously (many years ago) authentication was against the internal directory, but crowd has been active for years.

In our "license details" in Confluence it is stating we are consuming 1000 more licenses than we actually are. This is because a number of users, with the same user ID, exist in both Crowd and the internal directory.

If you look at the user profile in Confluence it shows the users in both directories.

We don't want to turn the Internal directory off.

Is there a way of disabling or removing the users from the internal directory so that they no long affect the license count?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Shankar Asam {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

Hi Tim,

Confluence's license count is based on Global Permissions. Users will count towards the license in the following ways:

• If the user is a member of a group that has global permissions to use Confluence
  • If the user is individually granted global permissions to use Confluence

If a user from an internal directory is a part of a group that has a global permission to use confluence, then remove that user from the group(typically confluence-users or other custom groups if you have any) to reduce the license count. 

Hope this helps

Tim Finch August 21, 2019

Hi,

The problem I have is we have users who were initially in the Internal directory, who have now been set up in Crowd with the exact same user name.

If you look at their user profile in Confluence, Confluence sees them as one user that is in two directories.

Hence if I was to remove them from the group it would remove it for both user accounts (internal directory and crowd). So I need to be able to disable the user in the internal directory whilst keeping them active in Crowd.

There is a work around, where I can make the internal directory the priority directory for log in. Disable the user from Confluence, then make the Crowd directory priority again. This works, however with 1000 users to do this for, that would take some time and is very manual.

Any ideas for automation?

Tim

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events