Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable personal space blogs

Ian December 8, 2017

How can I disable blogs for personal spaces only ?

2 answers

0 votes
Ian December 21, 2017

(i)To hide the blog item from the menu item dialog box I used the following css:

li[data-item-module-complete-key*="create-blog-post"] {display: none !important;}

(ii)To create the blog button I did it as follows using javascript:

1.Get the space key since it will be needed in the blog url:

var spacekey = $('meta[name=confluence-space-key]').attr("content");

var blogurl = '/pages/createblogpost.action?spaceKey=' + spacekey;

2.To create the button:

var $bt = $('<a>').attr({name:'Blog Post',title:'Blog Post',href:blogurl,class:'aui-button aui-button-primary aui-style newsbt'}).text('Create News');

3.Make the button appear next to the create button in the navigation:

$('#quick-create-page-button').after($bt);

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2017

Ian, the only way I can think of to do that would be by going space by space and removing the add blog and admin permissions from the creators of the spaces. (Admin permission would allow them to grant themselves the blog permission again)

Confluence lets you configure default group permissions (Confluence Admin>Space Permissions) that will be applied to newly created spaces, and this applies to personal spaces, but there isn't a permission template for the creators of personal spaces. It is assumed that they should be able to use that space freely.

Is there anything in particular you want to avoid by not having blogs in personal spaces? Maybe we can help with a different approach.

Ian December 10, 2017

Thank you @AnnWorley for you reply....now going space by space is tedious since we have 1000+ users and we want to avoid personal spaces having blogs since we have a workflow which prohibits creation of personal blogs as the blogs created needs to be approved before being published. 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

Today I learned that I cannot edit the personal space owner's space permissions as an admin. I tested on Confluence 6.5.2 but apparently this has been the case for quite a while: Administrators cannot modify permissions for a personal space's owner

Nor could I find a plugin in the Atlassian Marketplace to achieve this.

You might consider removing the "Personal Space" Global permission for all the users that need to have their blogs approved.

Ian December 13, 2017

@AnnWorley Thanks for your suggestion.

The problem will be the personal blogs that still exist and we cannot disable the whole personal space.

Ian December 19, 2017

@AnnWorley We worked on a workaround to solve the issue.

What I did was to hide the blog item from the create dialog and created a blog button and ensured it appeared on regular spaces hence when the blog post is created it will be subjected to the workflow

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
December 20, 2017

That's a sound approach. I am happy to hear you found something that works for your use case!

Do you have time to let us know how you hid the blog item and created the blog button for regular spaces? If so, please post it as a new answer to this question. Then we can mark it as the answer, for the sake of anyone who sees this question in the future and wants to do what you did.

Ian December 21, 2017

Okay let me do it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events