cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable automatic numbering?

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2019

We have a template in use with 2 columns and multiple rows. The rows on the left-hand column each contain a procedural step. If there is a corresponding graphic to go with a step, it is inserted in the adjacent right-hand column.

Since these are steps, we like to number them. Since each is in it's own section, the numbered list markup wont work, and numbers each as "1.".

If I manually number the first row, automatic numbering reformats it. If I then move to the next row and manually number and indent the entry, it does not reformat, and subsequently doesn't quite match the first row. The indent is different between the two.

There is no apparent way to disable the automatic numbering that occurs in Row 1. If I deselect the markup, it removes the number and indent. Further attempts to re-add the number result in automatic numbering again.

Is it truly all-or-nothing, or is there a hidden trick to disable this behavior?

2 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2021

Hello everyone!

Thank you for following up on this question. In this example from 2019, Darryl was using the legacy editor. I can confirm that disabling autoformatting in Confluence Cloud will only disable automatic numbering in pages using the Legacy editor.

For the new editor, it's not possible to disable the automatic numbering. We logged a feature request for this below:

Please add your vote to the case so we can prioritize this accordingly!

Thank you all, and take care!

Shannon

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2019

Hello Darryl,

Happy to help you with this. I'm trying to replicate this behavior on my own instance, but the numbering doesn't autoformat unless I use the numbered list option. I've tried this in a table as well but it does not auto-format for me.

Would you be able to show us an example of what you're talking about? You could create a test page in Confluence and record the behavior with something like screencast-o-matic.com and share it here.

Regards,

Shannon

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2019

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your reply. I will look at capturing the live behavior, but thought I'd share a screenshot displaying the behavior in the meantime:

2019-08-20_07-27-16.png

As shown, the first section is achieved by typing "1.space" (number one, period, spacebar). This automatically sets the format to numbered list, which is a common behavior in word processors. You can see that the number and the period are offset and the text is all indented the same.

The second section is the same process except using 2 instead of 1. It does NOT set the format to numbered list, and does not indent the text or offset the number from the text.

Darryl

Like Nancy Bonanno likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 21, 2019

Darryl,

To do it on the fly, you can hold down the option key before you hit the space button, and it won't apply the autoformatting. I just tried this on my Mac and it worked. I don't know about the same on Windows.

The setting to disable Autoformatting altogether is in your personal settings menu. Click your avatar in the bottom left-hand corner, and click Settings. From here, under Your Settings click Editor. There you will find the option that says Disable Autoformatting. When you disable that, Confluence will no longer autoformat anything.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2019

Shannon,

Thanks so much for the info! I honestly never would have thought to look in Settings, as I relate it primarily to personal/Profile and frankly don't have much occasion to go in there.

Darryl

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 22, 2019

You're welcome, Darryl. Happy to help!

Regards,

Shannon

Baiyu Wang August 13, 2021

disable auto formating in settings does not work!

Patrick Henry August 19, 2021

And it's gone. As of this post, there is no option there to disable this intrusive idiotic nonsense.

Like andrewgarrybrown likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events