Disable PDF and word export

Ni Ma January 23, 2018

I am using confluence cloud version. I want to restrict users to export pages to PDF or Word. I already setup the following on the confluence admin 

Space Permissions -> confluence-users : disable PDF export

but users still can export pages to PDF. 

In the same site, other spaces use the PDF export function. So I can not disable the plugin completely.

Can someone tell me what else I can do to ? 

Thank you in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2018

Hi Mani,

Which users can still export the space? You won't be able to restrict anyone who is an administrator, but otherwise the process outlined here should work for regular Confluence users

Regards,

Shannon

Ni Ma January 23, 2018

Hello Shannon

Thanks for the quick reply. The user is in "confluence-users" by default, and another user group (let's say usergroupA). I had configered the space persmission as following.

For the link you mentioned, 

Restrict Space Exports to Confluence Administrators and Space Administrators

Change Permissions on existing Spaces

should be my case. But I didn't find "Space Permissions" described in step2. 

In "General Configuration", what I can see is the menu : 

• Site Configuration
  • Formatting and International Settings
  • Attachment Settings
  • Connection Timeouts

and that's all. "General configuration" menu itself is on the left hand panel, I can not see menu "Space Permissions" as described.

Thanks for the further advice. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2018

Hi Mani,

First of all, I want to apologize. I just realized that I misread your question, and that you said that you want to restrict PAGE export rather than space, which isn't possible. More on that later.

For the future, the Space Permissions option in Admin settings is under the word Security and you can find it from this link directly: 

This is where you would change the default permissions for future spaces that will be created.

Now, for your issue, anyone with access to the individual pages can export them to PDF and Word. For this reason, you want to be careful with who you give access to the pages, knowing they could potentially share them externally using this method.

There is a feature request to be able to restrict if or certain users or groups, and that is here:

Please vote on that issue and comment with your feedback and usage case as it helps our developers in the process and keep track of the number of users that require the feature.

I hope that's clear, but do let me know if you have any further questions about it.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Daniel Soares likes this
Ni Ma January 23, 2018

Hello Shannon

Thanks for your answer, and good to confirm the current service specification: anyone with access to the individual pages can export them to PDF and Word.

I voted the ticket as you mentioned.  In my use case, multiple groups are using the same site for different purposes, so we can not disable the option for the whole site. On the other hand, I have to restrict some users only "see" the information, without the ability to download it.  Even though I understand that a user who can "see" the page, at least has the possibility to take a screenshot, but it is still a big different situation than downloading a beautiful PDF.

Thanks for your support again, and have a good day.

Best regards,

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2018

You're welcome, Mani! Sorry I didn't have better news for you.

Take care and kind regards,

Shannon

1 vote
Daniel Soares March 11, 2019

I am working at an Atlassian's partner and there are a customer that require disable the export in order to prevent the user to use confluence page information to other uses. There is available for Server environment, but not for Cloud.

It is very important for our customer that is searching for the most reliable solution for his demand.

Pete Dunham September 21, 2020

@Daniel Soares  did you ever figure out a solution for this? Thanks in advance if there is anything you can share.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events