cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Notify Watchers in Confluence 5

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

Hi,

After upgrading to Confluence 5, this JS trick (from here) to disable notify Watchers in Confluence editor stopped working:

<script>
  AJS.toInit(function(){
    <!-- Disable "notifyWatchers" checkbox by default (on edit pages only) -->
    AJS.$('input#notifyWatchers').attr('checked', false);
  });
</script>

Any idea what changed in Confluence 5?

Thank you!

8 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Just to note that the right way to do it in Confluence 5 is described in this KB:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+uncheck+Notify+watchers+check+box+on+Confluence+editor+by+default

4 votes
WobbleyHeadedBob April 27, 2014

Imagine the fire alarm went off everytime someone walked out the door. Eventually the entire office would be wearing headphones.

That's pretty much what defaulting "Notify Watchers" to a checked state has done.

4 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2013

Hello Adolfo,

I just wanted to take the chance to push out the official Atlassian response to why we were not providing a global way to toggle off autowatchers.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22070

The solution you point to above is also provided in this ticket. I also left a note in that issue stating that the hack around no longer works in Confluence and linked to this post.

Please add yourself as a watcher to that issue as an alternative source of information.

2 votes
Markus Viel April 21, 2013

Hi, I wanted to add, that I would also like to have an opt-in routher an opt-out , as it is a noble and likely understanding that information is always ok , but if you are editing those confluence Page like you are doing it with your Word oder PPT , then you want to "save" frequently just because you know that there is no automatic saving ;(

I dont think that Im the only one who know what I mean , you just loose work !

But in saving it and forget to "remove" the button the guys at work hate you because of all the "Spam" you generate !

0 votes
Ramon Radnoci April 3, 2014

I think that this should be added as a setting by Atlassian.

Usually you don't want this to take effect on all spaces. Sure you can set it per space, but just imagine how "structured" the Javascript code will be in Custom HTML if you need to set this for say 15+ spaces...

Like when you nest groups into each other or add users into groups, it should be possible to just add/remove spaces where Notify Watchers checkbox is disabled by default.

-Ramon

0 votes
Amalia
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

It worked for me. Using 5.1

0 votes
Markus Lepper April 22, 2013

@Adolfo: THANKS!!! It works :)

Regards /Markus

Kapil Bolli
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

Hi,

Any idea how to make Notify Watchers checbox disabled by default only for a particular space.

-Kapil

Dave Hergert August 29, 2013

Kapil - look at the KB article linked above, in the comments someone added code that allows you to restrict what spaces the feature is unchecked by default in.

0 votes
Markus Lepper April 22, 2013

@Daniel:

"The solution you point to above is also provided in this ticket": Where?

"I also left a note in that issue stating that the hack around no longer works in Confluence..."

I' abit confused...I could not get the script running in 5.1.1 It appears in html page head section but the checkbox is always checked.

Any advise?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events