Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable 2FA for End User

Md Miah December 21, 2021

Hello,

We are working on enabling MFA for end users. However, I can't find an option to disable MFA for a user by logging in as admin. How can I disable MFA for a user when the user does not have access to their phone or recovery key?

Please note that I have followed the below steps:

1. From your organization at admin.atlassian.com, select Security > Authentication policies.

2. Move member to a policy where two-step verification is optional.

3. Select Directory > Managed accountsShow details to open the member’s page.

4. Select Disable two-step verification so the member can reset two-step verification and log in.

5. Move the member back to the previous policy.

However, when I click on "show details", it does not give me the option to disable MFA.

Please advise.....

Thanks

Md

1 answer

0 votes
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2021

Can you add a screenshot of the two authentication policies?

Md Miah December 22, 2021

Screenshot 2021-12-22 094625.png

Md Miah December 22, 2021

FYI: We do not have the access subscription to create another authentication policy. We can only have one policy.

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2021

It's my understanding that to require MFA, you need an Atlassian Access subscription - is it possible that the user has set their own account to require it?  The user can go to this page https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security/two-step-verification and see if they have it enabled or disabled and can control whether to require it or not.

Md Miah December 23, 2021

We will enable it per user by giving them the url you shared. However, we want to know if the admins can disable the MFA or give them temporary urgent access if needed?

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 26, 2021

Admins cannot disable MFA if the user has it configured.  Only the user would be able to disable it.

Md Miah December 28, 2021

Ok, but it is required to have the MFA code to be able to disable the MFA prompt. However, what if the user loses their phone or in case of an emergency when the user does not have access to their phone?

Thanks

Md

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2021

@Md Miah  There is information on this page that answers that question - https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/manage-two-step-verification-for-your-atlassian-account/ the user will get a backup code that they need to save.

ANNA.ROZANEK July 25, 2022

my recovery key is not working
my authenticator is enabled on not working phone
recover account button showing "unexpected error"

to raise a ticket to IT Support I have to be logged in

to disable 2FA or to disable a mobile device with an authenticator I have to be logged in

Can someone help?

Like Arathi Subramanian likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events