Dilbert on Confluence

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

Hi All

On our confluence we had Daily Dose of dilberts gadget installed on our dashboard and every morning we used to get a new dilbert on our dashboard. I presume it was displayed using some plugin.

From today morning the dilbert has stopped appearing although i can see only the header "Daily Dose of dilbert". No image below it though.

Can anyone help me rectify this issue.

Rahul

2 answers

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2013

Are you using this plugin ? : http://www.simplenia.com/confluence-plugins/custom-dashboards

Maybe you could ask them if something changed?

best regards,

Peter

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

Hi Peter

I went into the manage plugins section and could not find this plugin. How do i find out from where the dilbert is 9was) gettting populated?

Rahul

0 votes
Statseeker June 25, 2015

Saw this article and thought I would answer it

we just have a shell script that use curl on Linux that pulls the daily image down via a crontab and the places it in the image/logo directory in confluence. We then just add a link to the image using the url as the confluence logo directory is accessible.

The crontab runs once a day, so we always have the daily strip.

its fairly simple to setup

cheers

Greg Schar June 24, 2017

Hi Statseeker,

I am trying to do what you mentioned above. Do you mind to go into more detail or possibly show me how you did this?

Statseeker June 25, 2017

Hi Greg  

It’s a fairly simple solution, I have listed a shell script we use which is crontab’d to run each day, the caveat is our instance of confluence is run on Linux.   All we do is pull the image via a HTTP connection and in our network I just use our HTTP proxy server to get it for me as we are behind a firewall and our confluence server does not have direct access to the internet.   The image is then placed in the same location as where the confluence standard logo images  are stored that you can use for the confluence server, this way it’s easy to then reference the image via the confluence front end via one of the macro’s.   Let me know if you need anything else in terms of info.  

CRONTAB ENTRY:  

0  8  *   *   *   /home/confluence/bin/update_dilbert.sh  

SHELL SCRIPT:  

#!/bin/sh  

. /confluence/.bash_profile  

SOCKS_PROXY=`echo "$http_proxy"`  

curl --proxy $SOCKS_PROXY -s dilbert.com | grep img-comic |grep assets | head -1 |sed 's/.*src="\([ ^"]*\)".*/\1/' |xargs curl --proxy $SOCKS_PROXY -s -o /opt/atlassian/confluence/confluence/images/l ogo/daily_dilbert.gif  

Kind regards,  

James (statseeker )

Can Elmas April 8, 2018

@Statseeker which macro specifically, to link and access these files?

Edit : Managed with nginx routing. But still wondering the macro. Thanks.

Statseeker April 8, 2018

Its a image marco in confluence and the URL links to the image on our confluence server.

Example:

https://confluence-server.com/images/logo/daily_dilbert.gif

The shell script above runs once a day to download the latest dilbert image and then stores that local on our confluence server.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

James

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events