Differences between databases with confluence?

Marcel Stäheli
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 23, 2018

Hello

We would like to use Confluence locally in a VM and have 2 general questions:

1. Are there diffrences between the databases in conjunction with Confluence? Maybe performances wise? Is a certain DB recommened?
  2. Is it recommended to use a separate DB-Server? Is there a performance difference? (Security wise it's better to have a separate server).

1 answer

0 votes
Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2018

Hi @Marcel Stäheli,

Here is an answer to your questions based on my experience

1. I would recommend using PostgreSQL or MySQL since Atlsassian provides good support for those types of databases and you will find a lot of online queries with solutions if you encounter future problems. 

2. This all depends on how large the instance is. I have used a 500 user tier instance using a database on the same server and never had issues. It also depends on how strong the server specifications are. If you are planning to use Confluence on a number larger than a 500 user tier, I would recommend using a separate server for the Database. If you don't have any limits with server hosting, I would suggest to still host the Database on a separate server

Marcel Stäheli
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 23, 2018

Thank you for your answer.

2. Right now we are looking at about 20 users. We always prefer to host the database on an seperate server. We just want to make sure we are not overlooking some potential drawbacks to that solution.

Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2018

Not at all, you can also host a database for other instances like JIRA on the same Database Server too

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events