Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between 'tag' and 'label'

Akilan R December 23, 2011

Hi, we are using Confluence as the interfacing tool and the Microsoft Sharepoint 2010 as the document respoitory. Is there any subtle difference between labels - the terminology used in the Confluence and 'tags'used in the share-point (used in the OSQA application as well) ?

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2011

Not really, the terms are pretty much interchangable. There's a few subtle differences in nuances in the code and there's certainly differences in the way they work, but the concept is the same - they both really do mean "stick something on an object so we can readily identify it as belonging to a certain group".

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 23, 2011
Yes. Same thing.
Akilan R December 23, 2011

Thank you very much, it could be that the search can be optimised based on 'label'in Confluence as it uses the Lucene Search Engine whereas the share point may use a different search algorithm same as Microsoft 'Bing'

James Card February 25, 2019

In the version of JIRA that we are using (7.9.2) there seems to be a very subtle but important difference between `labels` and `tags`.

When you use the bulk edit feature you have more flexibility with `labels`. You can:

* Add to existing
* Clear field
* Replace all with
* Find and remove these

That doesn't seem to be available for `Tags`. You can only set the tag line (although you MAY get multiple tags if the current selections all have the same thing (I think).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2019

Jira doesn't have "tags" natively.  How have you added them and why are they different to labels?

James Card February 25, 2019

Well, that's an interesting question. It was already present in our JIRA (in a very large company). So perhaps someone added it. And I just noticed that this is a section on confluence and not JIRA :(

I had googled "JIRA difference between tag and label" (or something like that) and ended up here and didn't pay enough attention.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2019

I think you paid plenty of attention - you spotted something odd about your implementation and found something related. 

Jira has quite a lot of power and it sounds like one of your admins took advantage and added "tags" for some reason.  I suspect they used a field type other than "label" for it, so it behaves differently.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events