Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between space and page?

Stephen Kairys April 7, 2016

Silly question from a Confluence Newbie:

I am working on a Wiki that has several spaces. Call one of the spaces "Customers". if I bring up the "root" of the space, I see a list of pages below it, with explanations displayed via the Children Display macro culled from Excerpt macros on the child pages.

One of the child pages (call it Accounts) itself has child pages (grandchildren of the root page). with the same method per Children Display and Excerpt macros.

e.g.

Space: Customers
   Orders
   Accounts
      Domestic
      Overseas
   Sales 

To the naked eye, this child page looks just like the root of Customers. What, then is the difference?

Thanks,

Steve

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

hi,

spaces are like containers that keep pages. you can think of it as a project like in jira. you can set different permissions for different spaces and manage each space as of its own.

for example you can create a space for your finance team and make it visible to only them and create another space for your sales team and make it visible to only them. under these spaces you can create many pages and child pages.

hope this makes sense.

Stephen Kairys April 8, 2016

So what am I seeing then when I look at the root of the Customers SPACE? An entity that serves at the root PAGE of that SPACE?

Thanks.

Like # people like this
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2016

when you create a space named customers, you also create a main page named customers. it is the root of this space. you can see this as a dashboard when you open that space. you can also change this root page from space tools > overview.

Like # people like this

Thank you, Elifcan. I accepted your original answer. Is there a way to accept your subsequent comment? It contains info that might be useful to others.

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2016

no you can only accept the original answer but thanks smile glad to help.

Like Rohit Abraham Jose likes this

smile

Mohsen Barparoushan July 2, 2018

thank you 

David Gardner June 17, 2019

this answered my question

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events