Did something change w/ the Jira Issues Macro - when creating multiple issues from table?

Michelle Green January 16, 2020

When I'm in the requirements template, and I want to create multiple issues from table, it initially is naming the issue it's creating by the column I highlighted to use the macro (as it always has in the past).  Now if I map the Summary to the Requirement column, it's automatically changing the issue name to the row # instead of the Requirement column (it never did this before). How do I fix this?  

Issues Macro for Multiple Issues from Table Option.JPG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Hello, @Michelle Green ! Creating multiple issues is indeed useful for kick-starting a project in Jira.
I understand and can reliably replicate this behavior. So, let me first show how I can get the feature to work as needed. Here is a video of it:

MultipleJiraIssuesFromTableWorki.gif

What I did was selecting the text of the first row by double-clicking it. By doing this, the feature uses the correct columns as the issue summary.

Now, here is how I replicated the issue:

MultipleJiraIssueFromTableNumber.gif

Here I selected the text by dragging the cursor. What is different is that I started the dragged click from within the number row. Since I selected that row as well, the feature understands that this is what I want as issue summary.

With the above in mind, I would like to understand if you are able to replicate the issue just like I did. Please, also try to select the text via double-click or dragging from within the desired row to check if it works as intended.

I hope this shines some light! Looking forward to your reply, Michelle.

Michelle Green January 17, 2020

@Diego I'm able to replicate what you did...but that's not my issue. 

When I select Multiple Issues from Table (after highlighting or double clicking on an item in the Requirement Column), the Issue name is correctly set to each item in the Requirement Column in my table.  It is defaulting the Summary field the User Story column and the Description field to the Importance column (it use to default the Summary field to the Requirement column and the Description to the User Story column). 

When I change the Summary field to map to the Requirement column, because it was incorrectly assigned by the system as the User Story Column, the system is automatically changing the Issue name to the number column in my table for me and I can't alter it.  I can't have an Jira issue summary just be a number. 

Like Diego likes this
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2020

Hello @Michelle Green ! Thanks for clarifying the situation for me. I surely misunderstood your request initially.

With this in mind, I re-tested the behavior was reliably replicating it in my own instance. Having enough information on the problem I was able to raise a new Bug Report on it. Here, take a look:

Edit: Fixed the link above

Here we can  see both working and non-working situations of the feature:

Working Condition

IssueWithNoNumberedRow.gif

Problematic Condition

IssuesWithNumberedRow.gif

A workaround, although a little cumbersome, can save us from this. Here:

1. Edit the page
  2. Deselect the numbered column option under table options
  3. Create the issues
  4. Edit the page again
  5. Select the numbered column option

The best course of action, Michelle, is to go into the report I linked above to vote and watch for it. Voting will help to increase the issue visibility and watching it will keep you up to date with everything posted there.

I hope this helps! Looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Green January 20, 2020

@Diego   thank you.  I'll vote and watch the report link and use the work-a-round until it can be fixed. 

Like Diego likes this
Diego
Atlassian Team
January 20, 2020

Thank you, Michelle!

Come collaborate with us sometime in the future.

Like Michelle Green likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events