Default search box text missing after upgrade

Karen Beck February 25, 2014

Using these instructions Customizing Search Values, I applied some javascript in the Brand Designer to customize default text in the Search field. When we upgraded Confluence from 5.2 to 5.4 (and the compatible version of Zen), the default text in search box disappeared.

Is this a known issue with the upgrade? Do you have any idea about how to fix this?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Karen Beck March 17, 2014

Issue is resolved.

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2019

Hi @Karen Beck , it would a great help if you share how did you manage to solve this.

Thank you.

0 votes
Karen Beck March 11, 2014

I also checked with Brikit. Apparently the default text is still there, but after the upgrade it displays white so it's not visible on the white Search field background. They recommended applying some addtional CSS to the brand. This worked fine.

#search ::-webkit-input-placeholder
{ color: crimson; }
#search :-moz-placeholder
#search ::-moz-placeholder
#search :-ms-input-placeholder

(Obviously swap out "crimson" for whatever color you want there.)

Issue is resolved. Thanks.

Mikael Mikkola October 13, 2015

Thanks, but Karen's code (in the wikispace Stylesheet) does not affect the placeholder text color at us (C5.7 server). IE9: light blue (or if the top bar color is changed, a lighter shade of the bar color, whereas its search box is a darker shade), Firefox & Chrome: placeholder text not visible! BTW, I guess that there is no method to (a) change the header search box placeholder text, nor to (b) produce a page tree (e.g., sidebar) search box placeholder text. If there is, we'd like to hear. Livesearch would do that, but I'd like to do that in by a standard wikispace macro (instead of having to add "{Livesearch...}" to every Document theme without being able change it later centrally), and I am not able to do that.

0 votes
Deividi Luvison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2014

Hey Karen,

During a upgrade the files in the installation directory are replaced with the ones of the taget version, so any customizations made in the files inside the <Confluence Install> directory needs to be reaplied.

From the scenario you described, plus the guide you provided I can see that this is a customization made by the ZEN plugin itself.

One idea is for you to try to reapply that guide, however if it fails I believe you should mail the ZEN plugin vendor for assistance.

Thanks and Regards,

David|Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events