Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default connector port changed to 8093 for confluence server in 8.xx?

JJ Fullmer January 10, 2023

I just attempted an upgrade to our confluence server instance using the automated installer.

In the server.xml all the default connectors changed their ports from 8090 to 8093

8093 is the port we are using, per atlassian's recommendation, for the tunnel connector to our cloud instances (Configure required connections and upstream ports | Atlassian Support

I didn't catch that they were all set to 8093 now so I added my tunnel connector which of course kept confluence from starting correctly. So I changed the port for my normal apache https proxy connector to 8090 (that's the only change made to the one included in a comment block), kept the 8093 tunnel connector, and then confluence 8.02 was able to start. Sadly a bunch of my apps didn't start (was hoping they were just not yet marked as supported but that they'd work, no such luck) and I have reverted back to 7.19.2 and will probably try 7.20 instead. 

But that change to the default connector raises questions.

Do I still need a separate tunnel connector or does this change integrate it into the normal connector?  

Is there some other reason for the change to the port that's never been changed?

Did it make this change automatically just for me because I had a connector with 8093?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The upgrade process destroys all the customisations you've made to the installation, including your server.xml - you need to manually re-apply all the stuff you put in there from your old install.

But this actually suggests it did a new install, not an upgrade - the installer will change ports if it detects something already running on that port.  Did you shut Confluence down before running the installer?

I expected it to destroy the customizations, it showed me the files that had been changed as it normally does, which included server.xml.

I chose the upgrade option in the installer and let the installer handle the confluence shutdown.

I did download and extract the installer separately after and noted that the bundled server.xml file was still using 8090 in the connectors.

Not sure if this is a new feature of the installer or not, we've previously done the manual upgrade method but wanted to use the installer and a more vanilla config for our final installations of confluence server before it is out of support.

It seems that because my tunnel connector was the last uncommented connector in the list, the installer assumed 8093 was the correct port and it changes the port for you.

I will try re-ordering the connectors to see if that changes the behavior of the installer. I noted that before I told the installer to perform the upgrade, it thinks the url to check for app compatibility is on 8093. So this was just a case of the installer trying to be helpful I think

I re-ran the installer without initiating the upgrade and when the tunnel connector isn't the last uncommented connector it doesn't give any link to check for app compatibility

• With tunnel connector listed as final connector:image.png
  • With apache proxy connector listed as final connector/after tunnel connector
    image.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events