Default access for new users issue

After a recent update to our ondemand instance new users do not get access to all of our wiki spaces by default. In the admin panel I have gone to Sign up options and selected Set defaults for new users. The Confluence application is selected. New users are assigned to the Confluence_users group. I have to manually add each new user to a group called just USERS. What has changed on our instance?

3 answers

1 accepted

Clarissa Gauterio [Atlassian]

Today 11:28 AM

Hi Scott,

That’s happening because in your Space Permissions, the access is set to the users group. You need to change that and add the confluence-users to that permission.

Also, I believe you will need to change the permissions in existing spaces to grant access to the confluence-users group. Since the users will not be automatically added to the users group, they will not have access by default.

Hi Scott,

The group confluence-users is the default group for the new Confluence users, I suggest you to attribute to this group the same permissions as the users group.

My suggestion is to check the Global Permission on your confluence through the following link:

• <Instance_URL>/wiki/admin/permissions/globalpermissions.action

And also check the Space Permissions through the following:

• <Instance_URL>/wiki/admin/permissions/viewdefaultspacepermissions.action

Then add the same permissions to confluence-users group of the users group.

Kind Regards,

Henrique Lechner

Henrique,

I have made all of the changes that you suggested and new users are still not getting access to any of the spaces on the site until I add them to the users group.

Scott

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

583 views 20 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you