Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Site Homepage

Jack January 31, 2021

Under "Further Configuration" I can set a Site Homepage to a Space I create. When I access the site, that page indeed does come up but it is not complete. The page appears? But no sidebar. If I log into the site? The Sidebar appears.

confl - sidebar.jpg

The intent of the space is to be a launch point for multiple spaces (guides, manuals, etc.) I have been using the Sidebar to list the multiple options for selection. So, How do you get the Sidebar to appear when not logged in?

Home Option On Menu
With the custom Space being used as the default homepage, why does the space selected not override Home? The purpose of using the custom Space is to replace what is in the Home option so it is NOT viewable to the public. I do not want the public to see what is on the Home option, Its quite honestly, none of their business.

So... How do you get the Home menu option to use the custom Space and have the custom Space name not show on the menu bar?

I have to believe that there is more flexibility in the presentation than what I am finding. The contents of Home should not be available to the public as an option.

What are the work around options to resolve the above???

Thank you for responses in advance.

Jack

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2021

@Jack I have a feeling that your expectations here are not aligning with the functionality. confluence has a default homepage, which can be changed to a specific page on the site. But when doing that, and accessing the page via the Home button, the page will act as a Home Page and not as a normal page. Hence you will not see the sidebar when setting the default homepage in this manner. The URL of the page will be different when accessed as a home page vs. normal navigation. 

Configure the site homepage 

Jack December 30, 2021

Good Morning,

Thank you for your response. The menu exposes content development information a developer would not want shown on a public facing site. I don't believe you would want a competitor seeing what you are writing, use it against you, and spoil a competitive advantage before a formal release. I have found many content development platforms, both paid and open source, that do not expose this kind of information. An example:

https://devdennw.clickhelp.co/home/en-us/

This is a site I built using a competitive application and did not have to climb through hoops to protect information that I do not want an anonymous user seeing. Its actually what I would expect from someone as big as Atlassian who claims to be the top player in the space.

I did in fact follow the instructions you pointed to some time ago, hence my post, to add a specific URL in the configuration.

https://devdennw.atlassian.net/wiki

As you can see, viewing the page as anonymous, the page exposes information I would not want a non-user of the site to have. I am sure I could remove all of that if I played with the site's configuration but I should not have to. Please understand its not one site I would be managing, its dozens of individual clients, each having their own Conflunce subscription.

Aside from the menu, there are other bugs and omissions, basic features such as tables and images, that work as expected in the Server release but not Cloud. I, along with many other supporters of Confluence are very frustrated with Atlassian's lack of attention to resolving these issues.

I have used Confluence for many years and would like very much to have the opportunity to use it as a primary application for document development. But, I cannot put it in front of clients because of the bugs, exposures, and omissions. It would not be very professional of me to do so. Every month I watch for specific issues to be resolved so I can recommend Confluence and anxiously await new updates but there has been no progress.

Happy New Year by the way.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2021

@Jack Happy New Year to you as well. I appreciate the additional information and I'm sorry I was not able to help with the issue you are experiencing. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events