Database password $sD1!234&xxx is interpreted as a variable

Phil795 January 25, 2021

Our Atlassian database has a password with special characters.

During the installation of Confluence I get an error that the reference to the variable xxx in the configuration file must end with a ;

How can I use the special character & in the password?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2021

I have been facing a very similar issue, but this time Jira <-> PostgreSQL, basically like described in: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-66178

While I could not find anything for Confluence on jira.atlassian.com it still could apply to Confluence in some sense.
Of course, a pretty complex password which cannot be guessed is what we all want in order to have a secure environment.

To be honest, for my case it meant to remove one troubling special character from password (set a new password) as the troubleshooting took longer than setting a new password - but please see this as a personal opinion.

Phil795 January 27, 2021

I also changed the password because as you say, troubleshooting took longer than resetting the password.

0 votes
Phil795 January 25, 2021

Perhaps the example password was poorly chosen.

The password is (in modified form) like this: +;D7\Fq(a[v&AhP6

The error that is issued after starting the Confluence container is the following:

BootstrapException: Unable to bootstrap application: Failed to parse config file: Error on line 24 of document : The reference to entity "AhP6" must end with the ';' delimiter. Nested exception: The reference to entity "AhP6" must end with the ';' delimiter.

We use Bitbucket and Jira with the same password, where no problems occurred at all.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

The config files need passwords to be encoded so that they don't directly expose "control" characters.  A $ at the start of a word can be seen as "this is a variable name, so read the environment for the variable content".

So, either you'll need to investigate encoding, but if you can, I would try a password that doesn't start with $ (I seem to remember it's fine if it's not the first character)

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2021

Hello @Phil795 ,

We are using Atlassian Confluence server 7.1.0 with our production.

We using a password something like this "001d91reZ$z^" . we did not faced any issues with the password.

If you have some DB Admin support from organization, you can ask they about password settings. as I'm aware of Database related.  These DB admins have more exposure on this topics.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events