Database intialization failed

Moisha Moisha October 23, 2020

I have installled Confluence server, started it and accessed it via browser.

Server asked me for licence and started create database.

Database createon failed on function sendError.

Now I can not retry or do something elese from web interface cause browser goes to page http://localhost:8090/setup/setupembeddeddb-default.action and shows emty page with Atlassian logo only.

How can I reset server manually to default state and try again with creating new database?

Error.log contents:

SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Users/%d0%90%d0%b4%d0%bc%d0%b8%d0%bd%d0%b8%d1%81%d1%82%d1%80%d0%b0%d1%82%d0%be%d1%80/AppData/Local/Temp/1/e4jFBAC.tmp_dir1603434134/user/slf4j-jdk14.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Users/Администратор/AppData/Local/Temp/1/e4jFBAC.tmp_dir1603434134/user/slf4j-jdk14.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.JDK14LoggerFactory]

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2020

Hi Moisha,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

In a similar post here in Community the root case was that the (virtual-) server had a bit too less RAM (memory) available. In case you are restricted to a quite small amount (2GB - 3GB) I'd recommend you to review if you can upgrade memory to a higher amount before proceeding.

As for your question on resetting the steps would require to move the installation directory to a different name - then you can start over.
Information on confluence directories on a windows system are recorded here.

Probably, this is only a guess from remote, it won't be needed to reset Confluence (re-install from scratch) if assigning more memory should fix the root cause.
Information on how to restart the setup wizard can be found here.

In any case - please let us know on your progress.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2020

Hello @Moisha Moisha !

As I understand, your Confluence Server installation was not successful and nothing other than the Atlassian logo is displayed when you try to access the instance. Looking at the errors you showed, I believe that you took them from the Catalina.out file. Is that correct?

For you to reset the installation, you can go over to your <confluence_home_folder> and then remove all the contents from that folder. Also drop the database you created for the first attempt at installing Confluence.

Keep in mind that this will give you a clean slate, no data from the previous installation will be restored.

Some interesting documentation for this process:

Even though you asked us how to reset your Confluence install, I would like to know more about the situation in which your instance currently is in. Here we go:

1. Are there errors after instance start up in your Atlassian_confluence.log file? You can find this file under <confluence_home>/logs
  2. What happens if you access localhost:8090, with nothing after the 8090 port number?
  3. What version of windows are you using?
  4. Did you use the installer or the manual install method to install confluence?

Let us hear from you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events