Daily updates - Confluence

M.R. van Kleef September 6, 2012

I have a problem with mail sent by my Confluence site. In my profile page I have checked the option "Subscribe to daily updates" but I don't get reports. Colleagues in my organisation have the same problem.

There are no problems with other mail functionality. Via the admin pages I have checked the mail configuration and sent a test E-mail. Everything is fine. I also receive mail when I'm watching a space.

I also checked the mail server, to see if E-mail is sent, but not delivered for some reason. This isn't the case too.

I'm using Confluence 3.4.6.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
M.R. van Kleef September 10, 2012

The mailbox of the user "DCastigl" was removed afer he left the company. From the day after no notifications have been sent. Maybe this happens because our Confluence installation is integrated with Active Directory but I'm not sure about that.

I have tested it by editing the Notifications table of the Confluence database. I didn't remove the entries of this (non-existing) user yet. I looked for the record with the Digest value set to one, and I changed it to zero. Now I get daily updates again and some users have confirmed they get it too.
Of course I have to remove all entries of DCastigl. In future there could be another colleague with the same username. If I don't remove the entries he could get unwanted notifications.

It seems very strange to me that this job cannot be executed if one mailbox doesn't exist. Is this a known bug?

Michiel

I'm not quite sure this is happening to all users because hundreds of colleagues are using Confluence. But anyone I ask can confirm it.

In atlassian-confluence.log I see this:
-------------
2012-09-11 00:00:08,481 WARN [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-7] [atlassian.confluence.mail.ChangeDigestNotificationBean] getAllChangeReports User DCastigl not found for notification com.atlassian.confluence.mail.notification.Notification@9a8039 (removing notification)
---------------
The user "DCastigl" doesn't exist anymore but does this mean no notification is sent at all?

The next errors are very long, so I'll show only the first lines:
------------
2012-09-11 00:00:08,482 ERROR [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-7] [com.atlassian.hibernate.HibernateObjectDao] remove remove error!
org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessApiUsageException: Write operations are not allowed in read-only mode (FlushMode.NEVER): Turn your Session into FlushMode.AUTO or remove 'readOnly' marker from transaction definition.

2012-09-11 00:00:08,484 ERROR [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-7] [org.quartz.core.JobRunShell] run Job DEFAULT.DailyReportJob threw an unhandled Exception:
com.atlassian.core.exception.InfrastructureException: org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessApiUsageException: Write operations are not allowed in read-only mode (FlushMode.NEVER): Turn your Session into FlushMode.AUTO or remove 'readOnly' marker from transaction definition.

2012-09-11 00:00:08,485 ERROR [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-7] [org.quartz.core.ErrorLogger] schedulerError Job (DEFAULT.DailyReportJob threw an exception.
org.quartz.SchedulerException: Job threw an unhandled exception. [See nested exception: com.atlassian.core.exception.InfrastructureException: org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessApiUsageException: Write operations are not allowed in read-only mode (FlushMode.NEVER): Turn your Session into FlushMode.AUTO or remove 'readOnly' marker from transaction definition.]
-------------------

Michiel

1 vote
PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2012

Hi,

Could you check the mail error queue, if there are any relevant entries? Also you might want to check if the scheduled job for daily updates is running properly and the schedule is OK.

Kind regards,

Peter Koczan

There are no items in the mail queue or error queue. I don't have a Scheduled Jobs Configuration page. Maybe this isn't available in Confluence 3.4.6?

There are no items in the mail queue or error queue. I don't have a Scheduled Jobs Configuration page. Maybe this isn't available yet in Confluence 3.4.6?

Michiel

PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2012

You are absolutely right, sorry that I missed that. Here you can find the documentation explaining the scheduled jobs in 3.4.x. Let's see if the corresponding job is scheduled and runs fine. You might want to verify it described here.

M.R. van Kleef September 11, 2012

I have checked the schedulingSubsystemContext.xml file. There is a dailyUpdateJob which should run at 12.00 AM.
Do I have downtime if I change something via the UI, as described in your second link? In that case I'll do it next weekend.

0 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

Hello there,

Is there any relevant errors in your atlassian-confluence.log regarding mail functionality? Also, can you confirm this is happening to all users?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events