Creating pagetrees from an unstructured space -- any tips?

Darryl Lucas September 11, 2013

I used the UWC to import from a MediaWiki instance and it's created a flat space, containing over a thousand pages, without any pagetrees. I expected the pages to be pagetree structured -- based on the way the MediaWiki articles are linked to each other. Fortunately, I can navigate the new sapce because the articles are still linked to each other.

Does anyone have any tips for fixing this? I'd like to find a spider-like tool that autobuilds pagetrees!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lucas September 22, 2013

I've ended up creating pages off the home page called A through to Z and alphabetically storing the pages in them as children. They're now a little more manageable because the biggest parent has about 40 children.

All the pages are interlinked as you'd expect in MediaWiki. I was hoping for a tool that would crawl the links and auto build the pagetree. Sadly, it's going to be a hard manual slog.

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2014

When we first imported our old wiki, we had almost78000 pages in a "flat" space.

... fixing this using the in-built drag&drop UI did not seem like a good idea because it's slow.

(We're currently looking trying to find documentation for some kind of UWC "Hierarchy builder" plugin ... any other suggestions?)

discountrobot
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2014

Totally depends on your tree structure.

This could be another XMLRPC answer (yay) depending on how you want the hierarchy and if it is possible from the pattern of your pages.

If you supply more details, i could take a shot at it.

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2013

1000 pages in a flat tree? Wow. I would probably consider breaking them up into separate spaces.

0 votes
Darryl Lucas September 16, 2013

The page tree takes about 15 mins to draw because all 1000 pages are children of the home page. I'm looking for any tips around restructuring, please.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events