Creating multiple JIRA issues from a Confluence table

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 23, 2013

I remember seeing a demo at Atlassian Summit 2013 on JIRA and Confluence integration which allows more than one issue to be created at once from a table in a Confluence page. Each row in the table turns into a separate JIRA issue and an issue link is inserted to each table row that links to the corresponding newly created JIRA issue.

Now I can not find how to do this in Confluence. Is this a feature of a new version of Confluence that is not released yet? Is it done with a plug-in? Or am I going delusional?

8 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
John Masson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2013

Hey guys, that functionality will be out with the next 'major' release, ie: 5.4, which should be by the end of the year.

5.3.1, like all the minor point releases is just a bigfix release essentially.

Glad to hear you're looking forward to it, we can't wait to get it into your hands!

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2014

One year later, current release is 5.6, when can we see this feature?

Vishnu Swaroop April 30, 2020

3 votes
Brett Miles SSC December 8, 2020

This is still not working correctly (i.e. no links generated) and the issues are created from the wrong fields when the table has a numbered column.  i.e. I specified the first two columns as the Summary and Description fields but when the issues were created, the value in the number column when into the issue Summary field and the Summary column from the table went into the issue Description field

2 votes
Melanie DuPont September 19, 2019
  1. In Confluence and Google Chrome, edit a page, then create a table (make sure it has a header) with as many rows as you want tickets.
  2. In the header, uniquely title your columns (Summary, Description, and so on).
  3. Fill in ticket summaries and descriptions.
  4. Publish or Update the page (so that you're not in edit mode).
  5. Select the text of the first summary. In the tiny menu that appears, click the Jira icon.
  6. In the Create Task window, make sure the Jira project and ticket type are correct, then click Create multiple issues from table.
  7. In the Create Multiple Issues window, you are being asked which table column contains Summary text, and which contains Description text. Make sure these are right, then click Create.
  8. You should get a message like "3 issues have been created. Your page has been updated to reflect the status of these issues." Notice that links to each Jira ticket have been added to the table! Go to Jira to see your new issues.
vstefanini October 23, 2019

it works! thanks! 

Patrick Read November 18, 2019

This used to work but as of November 2019 it no longer shows a link to see the new items in JIRA issue list and no links are added automatically to the table.

Like # people like this
Natalia_Furtado December 12, 2019

Hi guys, as I can't test this, if the column fields are updated in confluence, are these automatically updated in Jira too? Assuming so but wanted to check if anyone knows.

Lineshen Moodley May 5, 2020

I am having a similar issue, I can create the issues from the confluence page however it does not update the column "JIRA ISSUE" in the confluence table with a link to the newly created JIRA issue.

Also, I had an expectation that it would automatically assign these issues to the EPIC NAME captured in the product requirements document however this does not happen either.

Is this the expected behavior?

Currently, after generating these issues I manually insert the JIRA links and update the issues created so that they are linked to the required epic

Like # people like this
Jared November 11, 2022

It is working for me. 
Snag_488e47.png

0 votes
Bryce York April 19, 2017

This is now implemented (no idea when) but you can see it in action in this YouTube video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uEhPNPWki8

Basically you just select a single cell then click the JIRA icon that shows next to the comment icon.

Lets you choose the Project, Issue Type (no sub-tasks unfortunately), Summary, and Description.

0 votes
KentGran August 17, 2014

Is it a feature or bug that once you have created a table in Confluence and you want to create individual JIRA issues from the rows in the table it creates one for all rows in the table? I was thinking that perhaps you want to add rows from time to time and that the created issues was those selected by the user.... not the whole lot again...

0 votes
Jim Johnston April 9, 2014

This feature is available now. If you highlight the contents of a cell and hover over it with your mouse an icon will appear that allows you to create a Jira issue. If you click the icon to create a Jira issue it will open a window that gives you the option of 'create x issues from this table'.

Robert Obuch July 3, 2014

I've seen in the videos a 'Link to Epic' button when you create JIRA issues from Confluence but on my OnDemand instance, this 'Link to Epic' button is nonexistent - any ideas?

stefan_wilke February 13, 2020

A late reply on this :-)
I've noticed that the option requires ONE Epic on the Confluence page. If you got two you don't get the option.

0 votes
Chad Wight October 24, 2013

same question here, very eager to start using this! :)

0 votes
Sebastien Boudreau October 24, 2013

I have the same question. During the keynote, Scott mentionned that this feature would be avalaible in the next version of Confluence but I was a little disapointed to see that the feature was not shipped with the newly 5.3.1 release. My bosses and I are enthousiast about this feature. When this feature be available to customers?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events